Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please - I want to start working with beads

Hi all,

I am after some help please. I make wedding stationery and am usually found lurking on the wedding threads of this forum but have migrated over to the beads because I would like to start creating some wedding designs that use beadwork as I have seen designs from many other suppliers and it's something I would like to have a go at. I have never worked with beads before and wonder if someone could give me a starting point for the essentials that I would have to buy. I am guessing something along the lines of wire, beads, pliers - what else do you need to get going? what are the different kinds of beads you can buy. The ones I have looked at so far seem to either have a hole right through the middle of the beads or a loop at the top.

A couple of specific questions: How do you know what weight/strength/width of wire to get? Secondly, the kind of look I am going for is beads on a wire wrapped around a square of card that then sits on the front of the invitation. Will these beads be "sliding" on the wire or are they glued or twisted in some way to keep them in place? I have some links to websites but not sure if I am allowed to post them here - please pm me if you want to know what I mean.

Lots of questions, but any advice on getting started would be great.

Thanks!!

Sorry you've had no replies,

I think it would have been better if you had posted a link to show what you're trying to achieve, because the array of beads, wires and stringing materials on the market is quite wide.

If you're going to embelish cards with beads, I don't think you need to worry about the break weight of wire/threads. A general rule is the smaller and lighter the bead the finer the wire or thread you can use. Often the choice which to use is down to what your are making, and how you are finishing the ends off.

I only see the need for pliers if you are using 'findings' such as head pins, and you want to make loops, and you would only need 'cutters' if cutting through solid wire or 'findings'.

So sorry my reply is a bit general, but if you want to show me what you're trying to do, I'll see if I can help further.

Debbie
    www.beadservice.net
    On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Hi,

I think I can sort of picture what you will be trying to do with the beads. Beadservice is right in that you won't need to worry too much about the wire strength, as it won't be holding weight.

With regards to holding the beads in place, depending on the design, a tiny dab of superglue will hold them, or you can use crimp beads to secure them, which don't always look the best but you can also get crimp bead covers.

If you aren't going to be threading beads on to headpins then you probably could do without pliers, although a good pair of chain nose pliers will always come in handy for cutting, bending and shaping. I know loads of people say it, but don't scrimp on tools, it's very hard to get good results with poor tools, and a good pair of pliers will make working with wire so much easier.

Hope that helps,

Claire
      Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
      Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
      www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

firemountain help!

Hi, Happy Easter. I hope that you have had a good weekend.

I saw your post & can relate to it as I am always looking to try new things & trying to find out how to!

re, beads & wire. I am a self-taught jewellery artist & I found that for basic info. that you need right now,Firemountain gems provide all you need.(including materials)
        You can order a free catalogue from them.This has a cut-out back page with all the basic info on wire,findings,bead types etc. You can keep this handy.
        The website has a never ending question-answer section.
        You can found out HOW to wrap WHICH bead.
        Put 'Firemountain gems' in to your search engine & you should find it! (i cant add a link yet!
        I hope this has helped!
        Enjoy yourself......oh...you can see my crafts on my web address below.
        Last edited by fancythat; 24-03-2008, 10:51 PM. Reason: cant add link yet,sorry!
        Katy xx.

www.fancythatdesigns.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by fancythat View Post
          Hi, Happy Easter. I hope that you have had a good weekend.

I saw your post & can relate to it as I am always looking to try new things & trying to find out how to!

re, beads & wire. I am a self-taught jewellery artist & I found that for basic info. that you need right now,Firemountain gems provide all you need.(including materials)
          You can order a free catalogue from them.This has a cut-out back page with all the basic info on wire,findings,bead types etc. You can keep this handy.
          The website has a never ending question-answer section.
          You can found out HOW to wrap WHICH bead.
          Put 'Firemountain gems' in to your search engine & you should find it! (i cant add a link yet!
          I hope this has helped!
          Enjoy yourself......oh...you can see my crafts on my web address below.
          Yes! I agree with that. I did make some purchase of Swarovski beads and a few strands of natural beads with Firemountain gems last time.

The Swarovski beads are in perfect condition, however, the natural beads' quaility is less than what I had actually expected. As I can only use 4-5 out of 10 beads to make my bracelet.

That is why I am still looking for a site which can give me confident in quaility buying in nutural beads. If I managed to find out I will update you guys.

Comment

as others have said, I think it would help to see some of the types of things that really appeal to you most.

That will give you a starting point, because the world of beads is a pretty vast one and can be daunting at first and there is always the danger of infomation overload

So sometimes its a good idea to start out with one or two projects, learn the skills needed for those, and invest in the tools and materials for those and use that as a starting point. Bit by bit you will then add to your knowledge, technique base and beady stash in whatever particular direction you are drawn too.
            Emma
            www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
            www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
            www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Working...
            X