Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the correct name for this product?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the correct name for this product?

210606_01.jpg Please advice what is the correct name "waxed beads" or "waxed pearls" or any other?

I supply real pearls so I would say fake pearls. (faux is a weasel word for fake, it means 'we know it is fake but we want you to think it's real so we say faux which sounds a lot better')

Comment

I vote for waxed beads.

Comment

Originally posted by Pearlescence View Post
        I supply real pearls so I would say fake pearls. (faux is a weasel word for fake, it means 'we know it is fake but we want you to think it's real so we say faux which sounds a lot better')
        To be fair I think that most people understand that faux means fake and no-one I know would mix up the meaning of the two.

As for what to call them, well it depends, are they plastic or glass? Either word in front of the word *pearl* tells you they are not real and that they are fake/faux.
        Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

I think if you are searching for them online they may come up under glass beads, because they look like the ones in the shop which have a glass base and a sprayed on coating.

Comment

You'd be surprised at the number of people who bounce up to show me their real faux pearls.

Comment

You'd be surprised at the number of people who bounce up to show me their real faux pearls.
              Fair enough - does make you wonder at the scruples of those who sold them!
              Custom tribal belly dance costumes & accessories

Unique jewellery for those who love to turn heads

Comment

There are of course ethical reasons for using Faux / fake / glass pearls.
                full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

happens a lot - eg alcantata leather which is fake leather. used a lot in cars

Comment

[QUOTE= weasel word for fake, it means 'we know it is fake but we want you to think it's real so we say faux which sounds a lot better')[/QUOTE]

...I find this a little harsh. Many people do know the meaning of faux.
                    Sheila Wiseman - magical wire sculptures

www.etsy.com/shop/SheilaWiseman

www.facebook.com/sheilawisemanwire

Comment

Originally posted by Tartan Witch View Post
                      Many people do know the meaning of faux.
                      Yes I'd imagine most do, after all that's why faux fur is deemed acceptable and real fur isn't.
                      Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I said I know that many people know faux means fake, but it is a word used to deceive or at least to clothe with a slightly emperor's clothes...I'll all say that cultured - in terms of what I do, means farmed. It is just as much a word to spin what something really is. And again people get it wrong. I had someone aside to a friend 'of course those aren't real pearls, I have real cultured pearls at home'
                        calling things faux or cultured sounds posher than fake or farmed. But that is what they are

Comment

I think these are pearls, but I don't know if the pearls are precious pearls.

Comment

they look like waxed pearls to me
                            www.facebook.com/JmKeepSakes

www.etsy.com/shop/JmKeepSakes

Comment

I said I know that many people know faux means fake, but it is a word used to deceive or at least to clothe with a slightly emperor's clothes...I'll all say that cultured - in terms of what I do, means farmed. It is just as much a word to spin what something really is. And again people get it wrong. I had someone aside to a friend 'of course those aren't real pearls, I have real cultured pearls at home'
                              calling things faux or cultured sounds posher than fake or farmed. But that is what they are
                              I would have to agree with others and say I feel that a little harsh too.

Faux is an accepted and accetable term for anything immitation surely? Many customers prefer immitation pearls for a number of reasons - maybe they want the consistency of shape? Maybe they are vegan? Maybe they aren't sure about the working conditions of those drilling / farming the pearls?

The point is, they shouldn't be looked down upon for wanting faux pearls in my opinion. Beaded jewellery has a long and rich history of using one material to emulate another - be that paste instead of diamonds, glass instead of pearls, plastic instead of glass.

I don't really see how one material really "out-ranks" another.

Of course, I understand it must be really frustrating for you as a seller if people are misled and sold faux pearls thinking they are real. I feel the same if I see people buying mass-produced lampwork which they think has been lovingly made by an artist in the UK.

I remember seeing quite a well known bead seller here in the UK selling off 1980s indian millefiori beads as expensive antique beads - quite convinced she was that they were old and I felt like you, really frustrated for her customers as I knew they were not getting what they thought they were. But I wouldn't take my argument then out on the beads themselves, they have every right to exist - they just need to be sold openly as what they actually are!

But describing something as Faux pearl, faux glass, faux anything is NOT misleading and not a "weasel" word. Its a perfectly acceptable term for what they are. Desribing them as REAL might be, for sure. But that's a whole different argument.

The way I see it - there is room in this world for EVERY type of bead made of every type of material. As long as people know what they are buying and its true origins, that is the important thing.
                              Emma
                              www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
                              www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
                              www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                              X