crimp beads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crimp beads

I'm trying to make a necklace using beading chain and individual beads held in place by crimps. I've tried using crimp tubes and a beadalon magic crimper but the crimps are too loose. Normal crimps look messy. Any suggestions welcome.

Do you realise that beading wire is not always the same thickness. The magic crimper with the mauve handle is designed to be used with 2 x 2mm crimps and .45mm / .018 inch thick thread. Tigertail is often thinner ( and not marked with the diameter) than the named makes like beadalon, flexrite, softflex etc. which all have the sizes marked on them and a thinner thread won't work right as you have found.
    I use sterling silver crimps as they are softer and easier to squash. They only add a few pence to the cost of a necklace.

Melanie

Comment

Thanks.I was using the correct size crimps but don't know the thickness of the beading chain.It certainly seems thicker than .38 mm beading wire. I'll try the silver crimps on my next attempt as it will be on silver coloured beading chain. The previous attempt was on gold chain.

Comment

I have just re-read this and realised that you were talking about beading chain and not wire thread like beadalon/tigertail.
        Here is a bit of info I found about the beading chain:
        "You can use the Magicals on .8mm beading chain to create the "tin cup" type necklace, where the beads are spaced on the chain with a crimp on either side to hold it in place. When you use them on beading chain, be a little more "tender" when forming the crimp so that you don't break the chain. I've also tried these on the beading chain in ear threads with some success."

Melanie

Comment

Working...
        X