Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!!! And advice need making a simple necklace from Newbie :-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!! And advice need making a simple necklace from Newbie :-)

Hello Gals and Guys,

Thank you for taking time to look at my request.

I am totally new to jewellery and hand craft and really I’ve come here for some much needed advice and tips.

I am trying to make a necklace that is seamless, by this I mean has no obvious connection i.e. lobster clasp, etc.

The necklace is very simple in design and is basically just a string (i.e. thread or tigertail) with rondelle beads.

The problem I’m having is that the thread (although it was a strong connection) is too weak and eventually breaks and the tigertail (although stronger) breaks at the connection(using crimps) it comes undone just falls to pieces L

I am trying to find a solution to make my necklaces seamless and very strong so that they won’t break.

Does anyone have any tips suggestions.

I am also happy to commissions and pay for samples if anyone is able to create a strong seamless necklace using glass crystal rondelle beads so I can see how it is put together.

Seriously any help with this at all would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Gregory

If the tigertail actually breaks in two at the crimps then the crimps could have been squashed to tightly and cut the thread. If, as I suspect the joint comes apart ie: pulls out of the crimps, then the crimps are not strong enough to hold it. If the beads are very heavy then one crimp will not be enough. You will need to use two or even three crimps. You can make them less conspicuous by spacing them apart. At the end of the necklace string a bead, crimp, bead, crimp, bead, crimp. Then thread the other end through all three crimps and beads. Then pull tight and crimp all three crimps. It is best not to cut the tigertail too close to the crimps, I usually thread the ends through an extra bead or two and then cut close to that last bead.

Hope this helps.

Melanie

Comment

I've made seamless necklaces for my mother-in-law as she can't do clasps. I use beadalon 7 .015 stringing wire,overlap the ends and crimp in 2 places a couple of inches apart. Depending on the hole size in your beads,the crimps may vanish inside.

Comment

Originally posted by silvermaid View Post
        If the tigertail actually breaks in two at the crimps then the crimps could have been squashed to tightly and cut the thread. If, as I suspect the joint comes apart ie: pulls out of the crimps, then the crimps are not strong enough to hold it. If the beads are very heavy then one crimp will not be enough. You will need to use two or even three crimps. You can make them less conspicuous by spacing them apart. At the end of the necklace string a bead, crimp, bead, crimp, bead, crimp. Then thread the other end through all three crimps and beads. Then pull tight and crimp all three crimps. It is best not to cut the tigertail too close to the crimps, I usually thread the ends through an extra bead or two and then cut close to that last bead.

Hope this helps.

Melanie
        Hey Melanie thank you very much that is indeed very helpful I will gove that a try for sure. Thanks.

Your a star!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for that Tinap again most helpful I will try all of these suggestion.
          Your time is most appreciated.

Comment

Working...
          X