Glues for beading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glues for beading

Are there any other types of glue that you use for beading? I only us GS Hypo cement?

bx
    http://www.craftcaboodle.com A new, free, e-magazine for all your crafting needs.

I love Araldite.
    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Thanks, I've never really thought about Alradite! That's like super glue right?

bx
      http://www.craftcaboodle.com A new, free, e-magazine for all your crafting needs.

Comment

I have been wondering this too... being new to tiara making and wondering what glues I can use to make the crystals stay put on a wire without it showing.....

Comment

Great glue for beading and fabric applications

Originally posted by sam_2112 View Post
          I have been wondering this too... being new to tiara making and wondering what glues I can use to make the crystals stay put on a wire without it showing.....
          Hi,
          My favourite adhesive is Magna Tac 809.
          In the advertising blurb they specifically say it is ideal for bridal and other speciallity applications.
          Great for Headpieces, Favors, Costumes, Handbags, & MORE.
          Bonds Fabric, Lace, Beads, Glass, Metal, Wood & Leather.
          Crystal clear, WASHABLE, FAST Grab & QUICK Dry.
          I sell it on my site and use it all the time.
          My customers also find it great for the polystyrene covering craft, though I'm not sure if they use it with Pinflare because I just sell that stuff, I don't do it - too many other things to do!
          lol
          Hope that helps.
          Regards
          Gay Elston
          http://www.artyfactsforcrafts.com

Comment

GS Hypo Cement always seems to be the most popular beading glue. We also stock Griffin super glue, Griffin as in the Griffin silk cord and wire. This superglue is for beading and is not as runny as any old super glue, and it comes with 3 nozzles too!
            There are plenty others too like Zap-a-gap, Special T, E6000. I think it's just a matter of trying to find which one you prefer to use best.
            Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

I find Hypo-Cement comes highly recommended

Debbie
              www.beadservice.net
              On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

I mainly use the Hypo cement, although I don't always find that this has good enough "sticking power". Sometimes I use superglue, although you have to be sooooo careful not to cloud crystals/diamante. Superglue gel is really good as it is thicker and doesn't drip, although it can go a bit stringy.

(top tip - a cotton bud dipped in nailvarnish remover and very carefully rubbed over the surface of the crystal/diamante will clear any cloudiness caused by the superglue).

Araldite is definately great for good staying power, but I find it very messy and wasteful - it ends up going hard before I use finished as I need to apply tiny amounts at a time and its time consuming!

I guess it really depends on what you are sticking, and how intricate the work is - different glues are better at different jobs!

K xx
                I LOVE this horse. He makes me laugh every time I see him. He is mine.

www.uniquebeads.co.uk - Swarovski components, including filigrees
                www.starstruck-designs.co.uk - Beautifully handcrafted tiaras, jewellery and other crystal accessories.

Comment

sorry to jump in here, but does anyone know if the Hypo Cement is solvent free and suitable for swarovski crystal?

If Hypo C is solvent based does anyone know of a suitable water soluble glue?
                  ~ Impossible is not a fact. It is an opinion. ~

Comment

I couldn't tell you if it is solvent free, but it is definately suitable for Swarovski crystals. I never use anything else in my pieces, and this glue is great for the designs that require it. It has never damaged either crystals or pearls, and it doesn't seem to have any effect on the rate of tarnish of wire.

I do seem to find that araldite (and other epoxy resins) seems to increase the rate at which metal tarnishes...?
                    I LOVE this horse. He makes me laugh every time I see him. He is mine.

www.uniquebeads.co.uk - Swarovski components, including filigrees
                    www.starstruck-designs.co.uk - Beautifully handcrafted tiaras, jewellery and other crystal accessories.

Comment

Thank you Starstruck.

I've done a bit more research and found that although Hypo Cement is solvent based I'll give it a try as it is the most frequently named and it has an ultra fine applicator. There are a couple of water solubles out there but I shall leave them as a last resort.

Cheers, I'll let you know how I get on
                      ~ Impossible is not a fact. It is an opinion. ~

Comment

Working...
                      X