• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enfys
    100+ crafts club
    • Jan 2010

I need some pearl beads

But...............

I need 3mm (preferable) or 4mm with a hole about 1mm. I want them to make a crotat bridal set and this involves putting a crochet hook through the middle and pulling the thread through. I bought some lovely ones but had to send them back because the hole was too small.

I have some Toho size 8 beads which are perfect for the job but I though pearls would look nicer.

Any suggestions?
    Helen
    Rainbow Valley - Learn the Art of Crochet in UK terms for Free
    Colours of Enfys - Blog
    Rainbow Valley Crochet on Facebook
  • Westcountry Lass
    Moderate crafter
    • Feb 2011

Did you want genuine pearls or glass pearls? Beads Direct have a selection of both but unfortunately they don't say what the hole sizes are. I know genuine pearls tend to have quite small holes you could possibly make the hole bigger with a bead reamer.
    Too many beads not enough time!!

www.tamarjewelleryandbeads.co.uk

Comment

• MornieG Jewellery
      Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
      • Feb 2010

I'm not aware of any pearls with that large a hole. Even Swarovski glass ones are nowhere near that. You could redrill natural pearls as the nacre is relatively soft but you would probably have to do it in stages to gradually enlarge the hole and I wouldn't have thought it was worth the effort.

Hope someone can help you.

Mo.XX
      Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
      Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
      www.bodrighy.co.uk
      https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

• pinkita
        Moderate crafter
        • Jul 2011

as suggested above , i would recommend beads direct as well. they are reasonably priced and deliver the next day as standard if you are in the middle of an important project this is very handy

Comment

• bojanglebeads
          Junior crafter
          • Dec 2009

3mm/4mm Pearl Beads | Crocheting with Beads

Hi Enfys,

you've landed yourself a difficult little task here, haven't you?! You will find it difficult to find a glass pearl that small with a hole that large. The larger the hole in the bead, the weaker it makes it, so putting it into perspective, a 4mm bead with a 1mm hole has 1/4 of it's entire diameter removed. The only real exception to this rule are seed beads, as you mentioned.
          We do sell 4mm glass pearls, but the hole would not accommodate a 1mm thread. We personally would tend to use them with KO beading thread, monofilament or tigertail beading thread, all of which are considerably finer than 1mm.
          Freshwater pearls have even smaller holes, and redrilling them is very risky business. Drilling a larger hole through a solid bead is actually less risky than widening a smaller hole, due to drill-bits snagging and ripping the bead apart from the inside.
          If a 1mm hole is a must, and you've found that your Toho Size 8 Seed Beads accommodate this adequately, we recommend you stick to this. Swarovski pearls have a VERY fine hole in them too (although they are very beautiful!).

I hope this helps, make sure you post us an update to let us know what you decided to do!
          Bojangle Beads... all you bead is love
          Beads | Jewellery Findings | Beading Tools | Jewellery Making Workshops

www.bojanglebeads.co.uk

Comment

• C.ynthia
            Junior crafter
            • Aug 2011

Pearls by Snowfall or Sayila

Maybe it's usefull that you look at snowfall or sayila. These website have a lot of pearls with a hole ±1mm.

Good Luck.

Comment

• Enfys
              100+ crafts club
              • Jan 2010

Thanks for this answer, although it tells me that I haven't a hope! Unfortunately, drilling bigger holes is out. As I design these items to write and sell the patterns, I need to use materials which are easily accessable and widely available.

I ended up sticking with the clear AB Toho beads. They did the job perfectly. It was just that I thought pearls would give a more "classy" look.
              Helen
              Rainbow Valley - Learn the Art of Crochet in UK terms for Free
              Colours of Enfys - Blog
              Rainbow Valley Crochet on Facebook

Comment

• Incognito 2
                Banned
                500+ Crafters Club
                • Jul 2012

Cultured pearls do not have a 1mm hole normally. If you only wanted a few the 0.7mm hole could be enlarged

Comment

• Quartz
                  100+ crafts club
                  • Mar 2010

Why not use a size 8 bead with a pearl-like finish, there will be some lush creamy ones out there that will give you the aesthetic you're after.
                  *Nicola*
                  www.smittenkitten.de

Comment

• AnnieAnna
                    Super mega big crafter
                    • Nov 2008

Can I change your thinking? Instead of making the hole bigger make the crocheting hook smaller. Make yourself a mini tool. My first thought would be a bit of fuse wire bent in half, my second was a needle threader. Either way you push a loop of wire through the hole in the bead, thread the wool through the loop, pull it back through and your bead is threaded. I have to add I have a tiny pair of jewellery pliers at hand at all times when I'm threading beads.

Comment

• mizgeorge
                      Mega Crafter
                      • Jun 2007

Since this is a thread from over two years ago, started by a member who hasn't visited the forum for a year, I'm not sure how useful adding advertising posts really is (not Nicola and Annie obviously...)
                      george
                      www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                      www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
                      www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

• Incognito 2
                        Banned
                        500+ Crafters Club
                        • Jul 2012

The normal 0.7mm drill hole in real pearls can be enlarged, I've been doing it a lot this summer with the pearls on leather thing, but it is a right old faff and needs proper kit to do

Comment

• AnnieAnna
                          Super mega big crafter
                          • Nov 2008

Arggghhh! I am a dopey drawers too. Well spotted Mizgeorge. I usually check the date of the first post and missed that one

Comment

Working...
                          X