Stitching beads onto leather ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stitching beads onto leather ?

Hi I hope you can help. I have been stringing beads (mostly swarovski beads and crystals)and sewing them on to leather, and have been pleased with the results so far. I have been using the Salix 0.3mm beading thread (just because it was the first one I saw and I dont know any better) - but I noticed when I was stitching that the thread would snap at the point where it had been threaded through the needle. So now Im a bit worried that they wont stay stitched on for very long, and particularly that it may snap where I have knotted it.

Can anyone suggest a better material to stitch the beads on with ? Should I be using something else ? Im generally stitching 5mm and 6mm beads so I have to be able to get the needle and thread through them, and it has to be quite hard wearing.

Thanks very much in advance.

Hi, i sttich 4mm beads onto fabric to make hair accessories and use nymo thread size D. I find this really strong and has not snapped on me yet.
    Claire

www.bellabluebespoke.co.uk

Comment

I would maybe try Fireline, but I have only beaded with it I havent tried embroidery with it. It is just like fishing line and is very strong.
      Rachel @ www.rbbeads.co.uk

Comment

I am not a beader, so I was figuring I would use copper wire to attach a swarovski crystal to a leather strap (shoulder bag). What does everyone think of that? The crystal alone looked kind of bare so I am now going to try some small glass beads wired in somehow (must figure that out!), at the top of the crystal, and then thread through the 2 small holes I made in the leather...what do y'all think?? The crystals are baroque drops.

Comment

Oh and also, I read somewhere not to use fishing line because it is made to biodegrade in something like 6 months?? Is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post
            Oh and also, I read somewhere not to use fishing line because it is made to biodegrade in something like 6 months?? Is that right?
            I havent heard that but thats not to say its not right. However I would never actually use fishing line for beading only Fireline. Of course it could be the same however I have never heard that and I know a lot of beaders who use it and have used it for a long time.

Maybe someone will set us both right!!
            Rachel @ www.rbbeads.co.uk

Comment

Working...
            X