Swarovski crystal sizes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swarovski crystal sizes

I have just discovered that swarovski crystals do not come is a standard size and wondered if anyone else was aware of this.
    Last year I made a tiara for a customers little girl in a local galaday using 4mm swarovski crystals. This same little girl is being a bridesmaid this year. So as a return customer I offered to save the customer some money by using the crystals in the galaday tiara to make up a hairband by threading 2 crystals on at a time to make the hairband a little thicker for her. Obviously I needed to add as much crystals again as there were not enough in the tiara. But I initially used the customers crystals first. When they ran out I started to wind on my new 4mm crystals. As soon as I had 4 crystals on the hair band it was obvious there was a size difference. I checked all my bags of crystals just in case I was using the wrong size but no, they where the 4mm crystals. SO I had to unwind the hair band and mix the crystals after that using one from the customers batch and one form my own batch just so it would look uniform. Anyway the hair band is looking lovely now but as I said I didn't realise there were slight discrepancies in the size of crystals.
    Something Shiny Something Sparkly
    Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
    My blog
    Facebook

Are you talking baout bicones?
    I know thta they have been changed recently from what we know as bicone beads, to something now called something like xilion beads.I believe they are a bit smaller.
    Plus old bicone 4mm beads were never 4mm from hole to hole(which is annoying as if you are making a necklace out of 4mm bead you use that as a measurement to make up the length, bu they are about 3mm from hole to hole and 4mm across!!)
    So anyway, the above reason could be why they are different.
    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Another factor to consider is whether both sets of beads are genuine Swarovski. Presumably you bought yours from a reputable source, but the ones originally provided by your customer may have been Chinese 'Swarovski' crystals.
      Annie

Comment

I always buy genuine swarovski beads from reputable sources. The beads supplied by my customer were originally from me as I made the original tiara. The crystals from the original tiara would have been bicones but they were smaller than the xillion crystals ( the larger ones) that I was using this time, so that could possibly be the reason for the size difference.
        Something Shiny Something Sparkly
        Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
        My blog
        Facebook

Comment

How can you tell if they are genuine swarovski crystals?

Comment

I try to scratch a plastic box, if it does its swarovski, even glass ones I've had dont scratch. I haven't tested it lately as I haven't bought any new ones.
            Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

When they changed from the bicones to the xillion I noticed a slight difference in hole size and that my 1mm crimps would slip through :-( So yes I do think they are a slightly different size - they have more cuts in in them don't they?
              Bridal Hair Accessories

Comment

In my experience, genuine Swarovskis can come in a variety of sized, including 4mm and 5 mm. I have seen 6 mm as well I believe.
                Check out our beads, pearls, stones and indie-designed findings!
                http://www.stonesandfinding.com
                Make it beautiful

Comment

I havn't come accross this problem but i suggest going to your local craft shop and buying a bead guage to be sure you dont have that trouble in future
                  Yours IW Inspired
                  www.iwinspired.co.uk
                  IwInspired on Facebook
                  IwInspired on Twitter

Comment

Working...
                  X