Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sterling silver - what about the hallmark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi again Nichola! Funnily enough I asked this very question to my Assay Office a couple of days back and I received an email back from the Head of Assay Office Training & Trading Standards Liaison, who I think will not mind me quoting him: "The dealers notice [for online businesses] is not a legal requirement as yet (the law always takes a while to catch up) but we have been advising people to do so, you can also if you wish offer a link into our website" - so I think it's in the planning, so we might as well do it sooner, than forget and fall foul of the law later on! I'm off to tweak my website.
    Jasmin

See my work at www.jasminstudio.com
    And my craft shop for glass tile jewellery supplies: www.jasminstudiocrafts.com

Comment

I wonder how one goes about to go get a hallmark of their own to stamp on in-house produced silver. I would suppose that the criteria to do so must be pretty stringent. Everyone would be questioning silver jewellery in the shops if there weren't some serious regulations in place.
      Andrew Campbell owner of AC Silver Store

Comment

Andrew - If you want to hallmark your own pieces you have to pay have a stamp made (and pay again to have it registered with the assay office every 5 or 10 years if I remember rightly) called a makers mark. You keep this at your own workshop (under lock and key if you have any sense!) and stamp each item you want hallmarking yourself with your makers mark. The makers mark is just one of the indentations in the row and you then send your item to the hallmarking office for them to test your metal, they take a scraping and analyse the metal content. Once they are happy that your metal meets the requirements they add the rest of the marks in the row and send it back to you.
        www.belovedly.co.uk
        www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
        www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

This is a really helpful thread.

Comment

Silver Jewerly Online India

Pure .925 ,sterling silver jewellery online in India. Find latest and unique charms, bracelets, bangles, earring, rings, necklace, chains, anklets, pendants, jewellery sets and accessories. Customized silver jewellery gift items for her and him.

Comment

Hallmarking by assay office can be expensive if you only make few items. Currently assay office charges around £2 to mark the item and there is a minimum charge of £20 plus VAT. Then as mentioned above, you would need to register with assay office and get your mark made. it is for 10 years and cost few hundred pounds. So best option is to send the items with somebody else who is registered with assay office or make items which are less than 7.8g in weight and stump them with 925 yorself.
              https://www.houseofsilver.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by House of Silver View Post
                Hallmarking by assay office can be expensive if you only make few items. Currently assay office charges around £2 to mark the item and there is a minimum charge of £20 plus VAT. Then as mentioned above, you would need to register with assay office and get your mark made. it is for 10 years and cost few hundred pounds. So best option is to send the items with somebody else who is registered with assay office or make items which are less than 7.8g in weight and stump them with 925 yorself.
                Hi, they asked the question in 2010...probably sorted by now...

Dave, moderator.

Comment

Working...
                X