Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sterling silver - what about the hallmark?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sterling silver - what about the hallmark?

I'd like to make beaded jewellery using my own sterling silver wire rather than using pre-made findings but how will people know they are silver? I always look for the hallmark when I buy silver jewellery, but obviously I can't hallmark my pieces.

What do you all do?

Hope it's not a silly question....

Look at this thread - should help

Sarah Gail Designs
    Sarah Gail Designs on Facebook
    Crafty Cat Events
    Crafty Cat Events on Facebook

Comment

That answers my question perfectly....thanks.

Comment

If I remember from my Jewellery/silversmithing days (please corrrect me if I've got this wrong) you can still sell silver & gold jewellery without a hallmark you just can't say it's gold or silver. You have to say it's white or yellow metal. It's a way of starting off.

I've bought jewellery from galleries marked up like that.

xxx
        http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2088423&id=1137991135#!/pages/Zing-Zing-Tree/369040987041
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zing-Zing-Tree-Projects/158254370871775#!/pages/Zing-Zing-Tree-Projects/158254370871775?v=wall

Comment

Sterling silver items can be sold as Sterling silver without a hallmark - as long as they are under 7.78g. Anything over 7.78g must be hallmarked if it is being sold as sterling silver.

If you have any querys, do ask the assay office, they are very helpful, and it can get a bit confusing with certain things, so no bad thing to check with them directly
          WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
          Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

Thanks Kernowcraft; that's useful to know.

Littlehands....I would be very disappointed to pay the extra for silver wire and not to be able to say in all honestly that it was silver. If people are looking for silver, they won't be tempted to buy anything else.

Comment

You're able to to use a metal 925 stamp on your Sterling Silver, but once your item is made up of more than 7.78g of Sterling Silver in total, it then needs a full Assay Office hallmark. To get the assay office hallmark you need to send your item to them and pay a fee.

If you use under 7.78g of Sterling Silver components in your item you can still call it Sterling Silver, but once over this amount you can no longer call it Sterling Silver without the full Assay office hallmark. This is to protect consumers.

Debbie
              www.beadservice.net
              On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Remember also that if you're selling sterling silver (even under the weight limit and unhallmarked) you must display a dealers notice, which can be downloaded here: http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/dealers_notices.html
                george
                www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
                www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Eeek. So I must display a notice saying "check it's hallmarked for your safety" when I'm not hallmarking mine (provided they are under 7.78g). Won't that raise some awkward questions?

Or did I read it wrong?

Comment

I guess you do - you said above that you wanted to be able to tell people you're using sterling silver (even if it's not hallmarked), so I guess the dealers notice is a requirement

Sarah Gail Designs
                    Sarah Gail Designs on Facebook
                    Crafty Cat Events
                    Crafty Cat Events on Facebook

Comment

You read correctly It's easy to point out that pieces are below the hallmark requirement weight though. A 925 stamp does help this, but has no legal standing at all, and sadly is often misused.
                      george
                      www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                      www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Thanks for your advice. Once I start selling I will make sure to display the notice.

Comment

[QUOTE=mizgeorge;391906]Remember also that if you're selling sterling silver (even under the weight limit and unhallmarked) you must display a dealers notice, which can be downloaded here:

Hi, sorry for picking up an old post, but I just wanted to know, do you have to display the dealers notice on a website if selling under the weight limit?
                          Thank you
                          http://www.folksy.com/shops/SterlingHearts

www.sterlingheartsjewellery.co.uk

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have

Comment

There's no requirement to show a dealers notice on any website - many people do it voluntarily to reassure their customers. If you sell in person (even a table at a school fair) you must, however, display a full A4 size notice.
                            george
                            www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                            www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Thank you thats helpful to know.
                              http://www.folksy.com/shops/SterlingHearts

www.sterlingheartsjewellery.co.uk

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have

Comment

Working...
                              X