Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to store your beads?

Hia Folks

I am new to this website. Hope you are all ok.

I am starting off in beads and jewellery making. I have got myself some plastic "organisers" from Staples or DIY stores. I have tried to sort my beads out into different colours. I buy already made beaded necklaces/bracelets etc from charity shops, and break them down so I can make other things with them. So I literally have millions of beads everywhere.

I have made some simple bracelets and a couple of anklets.

What's the best way you have your beads stored?
    Alison from Wombourne

I like the divided plastic boxes, (it sounds like they're the ones you already have) but make sure the dividers touch the lid when it's closed, so that the beads stay where you put them. The Really Useful Box company do all sorts of storage boxes for crafts.
    Celia
    I can't be creative and tidy too
    www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
    The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
    Jencel on Facebook

Comment

I also use those boxes with dividers in them. Sadly the dividers in mine dont touch the lid so I have to be careful when moving them about so that I dont tip them and end up mixing them.

I've also used sandwich bags for when I break up old necklaces etc, sometimes I then sort them into dividers, sometimes I end up using all the beads before I sort them out.

Old (clean!) jam jars and the like are good for storing them too I find. Certainly if, like me, you like having pretty beads on display. I have jars on top of a chest of drawers in my craftroom/spare bedroom full of beads and buttons and things.

Comment

I use Craft Mates storage boxes for my delicas etc. They gave individually-lidded compartments that lock closed. Have treated them pretty roughly over the years and never had a problem with them getting jumbled up!

Sarah Gail Designs
        Sarah Gail Designs on Facebook
        Crafty Cat Events
        Crafty Cat Events on Facebook

Comment

I have a bit of a mixture of storage solutions but I find the boxes with the dividers the best, I find it the easiest way to see what I've got...I keep saying I'm going to get them organised into colours or types but considering the amount of beads I have accumulated I think it would be an impossible task!
          Karly
          http://www.thesilvershack.co.uk
          http://twitter.com/thesilvershack1
          http://thesilvershack1.blogspot.com/
          https://www.facebook.com/TheSilverShack

Comment

Originally posted by StalightSerenity View Post
            I also use those boxes with dividers in them. Sadly the dividers in mine dont touch the lid so I have to be careful when moving them about so that I dont tip them and end up mixing them.
            I know all about that, we took our little car down south the other week with my beads, it was the one with all the stone chips and 3mm beads in that tipped upside down in the boot
            Luckily my mother in law was quite bored, she found sorting them out very therapeutic lol
            Dainty Rocks Jewellery ~ www.daintyrocks.etsy.com ~ www.daintyrocks.co.uk ~ @DaintyRocks

Comment

Last week I bought some decent size divider boxes from ikea that were £3 each - best value I've found so far
              http://www.facebook.com/groups/328875873869007/

Comment

I also use the divider boxes but I had split me beads into colour. One divider box for each colour, I place each different type of bead in a little zip lock bag so if I do tip the box it is no catastrophe. I also use the little round stackable dishes for findings etc. These are small enough to sit on my table the whole time without taking up too much room. They are also the perfect size for taking with me to fairs etc for changing clasps, earring wires etc.
                Rosemary
                www.glitzandglamourjewellery.co.uk
                www.flickr.com/photos/glitzandglamourjewellery
                http://www.facebook.com/glitz.and.glamour.jewellery
                http://www.glitzandglamourjewellery.co.uk/blog.html

Comment

I use craft mates too. Bought mine years ago, really good. They are in a strip and you can open one compartment at the time rather than a whole row. Also have good bags to store the lot in. I'm not sure of cost, but I like mine as everything is in the same sized box so I can compare amounts easily.
                  I like the idea of jam jars on display, that sounds nice.
                  http://handcraftedbykayleigh.blogspot.com/

Comment

I use the compartment boxes too, I've recently found a warehouse that has larger ones that you can swap the dividers about inside, £2.99. I also use empty Houmos pots for larger amounts of beads. They're see-through and the lids are very secure and they stack neatly. I've colour separated things too, with gold & silver findings separated too, different size jump rings in another...ooh and an empty icecream container for all the different pliers, and seed beads in little zip lock bags in another. I started off with the small 6 compartment ones and quickly filled them (no surprise there! ) so now I'm hoping to get the bigger ones to neaten things up and not have so many boxes to go through. I've found that, as I've started to collect more & more bits and pieces, I've forgotten what I have until I've gone to open another small box. With the larger ones it's only one lid to open and you can see all the different ones you've got at one glance, especially if you've got a box for each colour. I think I'll put coloured labels on the sides too so that, when they're stacked I can see/read what's in each one at a quick glance. It's definitely worth buying some zip lock/press plastic bags (2"x2" size or smaller) to keep the little things in, inside each compartment too. I like the idea of the jam jars too...like with my papers for cardmaking, sometimes I just like to look at some of them and not use them!!
                    Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Mu mum's just had a bead-storage disaster! We bought some cheap, v small boxes (poor imitations of the Really Useful Boxes); she filled a couple with different colour seed beads (not in bags), and put them in one of her bead drawers a few days ago. She's just gone in and found that the lids on both have come off!!! I suspect that'll be the rest of her day gone trying to get them out and sorted again!

Ooops.

Sarah Gail Designs
                      Sarah Gail Designs on Facebook
                      Crafty Cat Events
                      Crafty Cat Events on Facebook

Comment

I have always been a believer in recycling - and I also like being cheap.

So, I just reuse glass jars, after cleaning them, of course. For a long time I would hit up friends with children for baby food jars and use those as containers for seed beads and smaller stuff. Bigger jars hold my bigger stuff and they are all color coordinated - so they are almost decorative in their own sense, just being displayed.
                        Soft Flex Company

Soft Flex Company on Twitter

Soft Flex Company on Facebook

Comment

I use everything and anything, I have been known to loiter around people eating their lunch if I think they might throw away something useful.

I have some of the DIY boxes from B & Q that are for storing screws and such these are good cos you can remove the little boxes when you are using them. I don't use a lot of seed beads though but the ones I do have are scattered far and wide.
                          www.beadtopia.co.uk
                          http://www.etsy.com/shop/BeadtopiaStudio

Comment

I usually transport beads in those divided trays-usually, if theres only a few of each bead, I pop them in those little self-seal bags with the price per bead scribbled on the blank strip.
                            For permanent storage, I wanted to get something like a Plans chest, but full of divided trays. I saw something similar advertised in Bead magazines, but it was over £50 for the unit, and more for the drawers
                            Luckily, I found somethin just as good from the Really Useful Box company. Its a drawer set with about six a4-sized drawers in it, but you can take the top off and stack another set of six, and so on (I have a 5 foot tall stack now, impossible to move when full of so many glass beads!) and they sell inserts for them too. Like a little tray, divided up into square compartments that sit neatly in the box. The two sets cost me about £50, but the inserts were very cheap, and I bought them bit-by-bit. For chunky beads (not seed beads) its great, but I keep the tiny seed beads and swarovzki gems in the ready-made divided trays you can get quite cheaply

Comment

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum. As far as the beads are concern, we can store them as we want be a small bottles, a plastic box or a divider box. According to me, I store beads in a divider plastic box with separate lid in each and every part.

Comment

Working...
                              X