Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to be or not to be?????

out of work+loans=start my own business
    am I right? handbags or other goods are not personal. think over and over and over and over.......it seems that the only way I can go is to start handmade jewelry business. I can make them at home without rental fee of a store house. I just need to buy some beads and tools...huh....who can tell me that jewelry business is to be or not to be? where I can buy the beads? what tools I need...so many question.

As far as I know there are lots of jewelry suppliers in China .

Comment

A word of warning:
      I trained as a jeweller (the silver smithing kind).
      I got married, had kids etc and never did better than breaking even.
      The way to go was to work for an established jeweller (eg in Hatton Garden).
      That gave you a living as opposed to a bit on the side.

From reading this forum there seems to be a lot of bead jewellery makers and craft fairs limit the amount they let in.

My handbags haven't exactly been selling like hot cakes so I've been having similar thoughts to you.

I reckon you need something that gets used up, or lost, (I daren't say falls to bits ), or hit on something with an expanding market but that could be a bubble waiting to burst or think of something no one elae it making.

So far we (my family, my OH is dreading redundancy) have come up with sweets, cakes and other yummibles - but they have lots of hygene red tape, soap - that's worse, earrings - I'm always losing one but there is so much cheap jewellery around already, pet food and bird seed (bit hard to be creative)....then we got depressed and decided to stack shelves in B & Q (we're pretty old ).

Tell us what you go for
      Last edited by AnnieAnna; 07-09-2010, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Jewellery is a very competitive market. Have you thought about where you will sell your items? Craft fairs tend to get booked up early and especially so, if you are a jewellery maker. I went to a fair recently where there were 12 stalls, and 8 of them were jewellery!! If you think you have a different style to what is already available, you could try approaching local shops to sell your jewellery for you..but don't forget to add their cut on to the retail price.

If you want to have a play with some items first, my website is geared up to supply the individual in small quantities.
        http://www.beadsandjewellerysupplies.co.uk/

http://www.facebook.com/BeadsUK

Comment

Something doesn't ring right to me about this - I strongly suspect the OP is a spammer.

Sarah Gail Designs
          Sarah Gail Designs on Facebook
          Crafty Cat Events
          Crafty Cat Events on Facebook

Comment

The mods are cognizant of the possibility.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, what's an OP?

But having re-read the first thread, I see what you mean..mmmmm!!

Comment

and the second one...

OP - original poster

Comment

aah yes..makes sense.. thank you

Comment

Hi Angie, aren't we so innocent and trusting! Oh phooey, what a harsh world.
                    AnnieAnna
                    off to make a little red riding hood.
                    Good job our Cosmic grandma is keeping our wolves at bay.
                    She was scarey enough before but now I'm seeing her running round the woods swinging an axe round her head!!!!!! Arghhhhhhh!

Comment

Glad to hear we have you quaking at your knees!
                      View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Nah. We're real softies at heart.
                        Carol
                        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Like armadillos?
                          View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieAnna View Post
                            Hi Angie, aren't we so innocent and trusting! Oh phooey, what a harsh world.
                            AnnieAnna
                            off to make a little red riding hood.
                            Good job our Cosmic grandma is keeping our wolves at bay.
                            She was scarey enough before but now I'm seeing her running round the woods swinging an axe round her head!!!!!! Arghhhhhhh!
                            hehe lol
                            Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieAnna View Post
                              Oh dear...it sounds like something from "Obelisk and Asterix the Movie!" =)

Comment

Working...
                              X