• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blue__nile
    Junior crafter
    • Feb 2010

Help Please re: Removing AB Coating on Beads

Hi everyone..hope someone can help me.

I've inherited a 3 strand, broken, vintage necklace (dating from the 50s/60s) made up of crystal (swarowski?) beads which I think have an AB coating on them.

Unfortunately the coating on the beads has worn away on a lot of the facets. What's left of the coating makes the bead seem dark or looks like they have bits all over them.

It seems a shame not to use these beads so I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to dissolve the coating?

I've tried nail polish remover, meths, white spirit and trying to scrape it off with a craft knife with little success.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks for reading this.
  • mizgeorge
    Mega Crafter
    • Jun 2007

If you've got access to a tumbler that seems to do the job pretty efficiently (as discovered by a lot of people who didn't want to remove their AB coating!)
    george
    www.mizgeorge.co.uk
    www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
    www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

• blue__nile
      Junior crafter
      • Feb 2010

Unfortunately I have no access to a tumbler and having looked at what they cost I think the beads might have to be thrown away.

Thanks for your advice

Comment

• ldw
        100+ crafts club
        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by blue__nile View Post
        Unfortunately I have no access to a tumbler and having looked at what they cost I think the beads might have to be thrown away.

Thanks for your advice
        Nooooooooooo! Don't throw them away, if you don't know anyone with access to a tumbler then maybe someone on here will do it for you if you pay for postage and any costs incurred?? I'd offer myself if I had one. I hate to think of beads being thrown away
        Lorna x

http://twistedspiral.wordpress.com/ - I've finally ventured into the world of blogging!

Comment

• blue__nile
          Junior crafter
          • Feb 2010

Hi...I thought I would let you know that I've had success removing the AB coating. I began thinking outside the box after reading 'mizgeorge's' suggestion and came up with an idea.

I soaked some of the beads in jewellery cleaner most of the day and then used a brillo pad and to my surprise it worked! There was a little bit of residue but the craft knife sorted that out. I was very careful so no scratches.
          So no need to throw the beads away and I have some lovely beads to work with (albeit it will take a bit of work).

Hope my solution will be of some use to someone else.

Comment

Working...
          X