Bead advice please...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bead advice please...

I am going to try and make a pair of earrings but from looking at some of the sites suggested through the forum I am a little overwhelmed and confused! I want to make a pair of drop earrings, with using swarovski crystals or something with the same sort of effect. So may question is, do I buy swarovski or is there a cheaper option? What findings will I need and what size beads? Thank you!
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

This is totally cheeky - but if you have never tried to make earrings before I have a kit that makes 5 pairs on my website. It's exclusive to us and I've not seen anything like it anywhere else - it's aimed at the total novice. There are 5 different pairs of earrings in the pack, all different sorts of glass beads - but not crysals.
    If your interested PM me and I'll get you the code so you can find it easily.
    Cheers,
    Mel
    Try a new way every day and work becomes play!

Comment

I think Mel's idea is excellent - if you've never made earrings before, a kit is agreat way to start.

When I am learning something new I always practice with cheaper materials till I'm sure I've got it right. Swaros are fabulous, they give a totally different effect to other crystals but they are more expensive.

The materials you will need vary depending on the type of earring you want and the type of bead you're using. Have a look at the projects on the Fire Mountain Gems website, that should give you an idea.
      Heather
      Pretty Things Handmade Jewellery

Website - www.prettythingsjewellery.co.uk

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

New blog - www.prettythingsandwitterings.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm not that expert on earings, although they are a good seller.
        I use Sterling Silver Ear Hooks from Jillysbeads, they are about 49p a pair i think.
        The easiest way is to thread beads onto Head or Eye Pins you just need to make sure the hole through the centre of the beads isn't too big for the pin to go straight through otherwise you need to put smaller, seed beads on the pin first to prevent this which dosn't look very proffessional.
        Then you can just hook the pin onto the ear hook.
        Like i said earings is not my strong point i'm sure other people on here will have some ideas, and a kit is always a good place to start.
        Good luck, you will have to post a piccie!!
        http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for all the advice! I have been looking at some earrings I bought recently and seeing how they were made and what was used. Looks quite straightforward so looking forwarded to having a go (and eating my words probably!!!).

Can anyone tell me what Bicones and ABs are please? Have seen these mentioned a few times on the forum and on bead sites and have no idea what they are!!!
          Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

AB stands for Aurora Borealis, and is a coating they put on the swarovski crystals which make them extra shiny, and bicone is a particular shape. I will try to insert a picture which shows some crystals that are both bicones and Rose AB.
            Can't do it - will have to read up on how to do pictures better!
            If you go to this link, and enlarge the picture by clicking on it, you should be able to see the crystals - their colour and shape.
            http://www.somata.co.uk/initial-with...ac80f895d92af0
            Mary
            www.somata.co.uk
            www.stitchnglass.co.uk
            www.gemstoneboutique.co.uk
            www.somata-pmc.co.uk

Comment

Thanks! So if I wanted the same sort of effect as swarovski, is there a cheaper alternative anyone can suggest?
              Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

In my opinion no crystals are as good as swarovski. You can get cheaper glass bicones/rounds/etc., and even some with the different coatings, but to me they do not have the magic that genuine swarovski's have (maybe I am just a crystal snob ) Having said that, some of the Czech glass Facets are lovely, and I use those too. I get mine from Oak Tree Crafts - and she has a lovely range of colours. Here is the link to Oak Tree:
                http://www.oaktreecrafts.com/home/
                These are not bicones, they are nearer to rounds (slightly elongated) but they have a really good sparkle.
                Hope that helps
                Mary
                www.somata.co.uk
                www.stitchnglass.co.uk
                www.gemstoneboutique.co.uk
                www.somata-pmc.co.uk

Comment

I must agree that swarovski are much nicer than cheaper crystals. If you are just making a pair for yourself then why not push the boat out?

I also like to use different findings such as (from www.daisy-chains.org):

To get a different effect. (attach the hook to the top loop then head/eye pins with beads to the various other loops).

Laura
                  Beyond Beads
                  Handmade Beaded Jewellery for all occasions

[email protected]

www.beyondbeads.co.uk
                  www.myspace.com/beyondbeads

Comment

Attempt one...

Love those Laura, will have to have a look on that site!

I discovered there is a bead shop near to me in Lichfield so went along on Sat and bought some bits. They didn't sell swarovski so I bought these beads just so I could try it out. I think the hardest part was photographing them - took me ages and still not very good! Also found shaping the top of the head pin hard with the round nose pliers but made another pair after this in purple so getting the hang of it. So, for a first attempt, any good? I am pleased with them anyway!

Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Very pretty colours and simple but effective. Brill for a first time!
                      Beyond Beads
                      Handmade Beaded Jewellery for all occasions

[email protected]

www.beyondbeads.co.uk
                      www.myspace.com/beyondbeads

Comment

Thanks Laura! I really liked the green. I think I will make more in other colours so I have a pair to go with everything Really liked the findings you showed in the previous thread too so will look into going a bit more adventurous!!!
                        Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Hi
                          If you don't want to buy Swarovski (although they will be the best crystals you can get), your best bet is Czech glass (just stay clear of Chinese or Indian glass if you want quality).
                          Your first attempt looks perfect!
                          Bea
                          Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Well done and good for you having a go. Have a look at www.beads.co.uk they do an excellent catalogue and their postage costs are very good too. I've used them a lot and so far they haven't let me down.
                            Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk
                            Total warmth and comfort for your baby and toddler up to 3 years

Comment

Katian they are lovely and very good, purple is one of my favorite colours too so would love to see them.

I have to say I love swarovski too, but have some chinese bicones, that though I agree dont have quite the same sparkle as a less expensive option are very good. I have some czech bicones that I am hoping to get photographed over the weekend and the quality is excellent.

So yes swarovski are definatly the best sparkly crystal, Czech and Chinese are coming close.

Francesca
                              www.silverthistlebeads.com

Over 389 watch faces at any one time and a large selection of bali beads, Swarovski slider spacers and crystals etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X