Where can I get...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where can I get...?

I saw a necklace in a gift shop with some gorgeous beads on it, they were tiny neat cubes, they looked like they were cut from stone* as they were that kind of texture and were a deep mid grey, they were fairly matt but had a beautiful 'oil on water' sheen in purples, greens and blues. Does anyone know what these beads are called or what they are made from or where I can get some?

Thanks in advance x

*when i say stone i mean like a pebble not a gemstone.
    Last edited by alibear; 31-10-2009, 09:11 PM.
    www.belovedly.co.uk
    www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
    www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Did you take a picture of them or can you go back and take one? I know from experience that in some cases it's hard to describe something and expect someone else to know what you're talking about- especially with the kind of thing you don't see every day!

Comment

I doubt this will be it but Swarovski do little cubes.
      Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Yes Bea they do...here's some listed on ebay! If you want the 'oil on water' sheen you describe in your original post then you need to order them with an AB coating.

Swarovski make crystals which are more like gem stones than pebbles though...

Are these what you mean?
        Last edited by nickie1105; 01-11-2009, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Are you sure they're not ceramic? It's quite possible to make beads from clay that look like real pebbles, and glazes etc come in all sorts of luminescent sheens.
          Daesul

http://www.clairemanwani.com
          http://www.folksy.com/shops/clairemanwani
          http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ClaireManwaniPottery

Comment

The swarovski cubes are lovely and i do intend to get some but no they aren't like the ones i've seen. The ones i've seen have the texture of very smooth pumice stone and yes could quite possibly be ceramic! Good thinking. I will try to sneakily get a photo next time im in the shop - or i may even buy the necklace cos i do keep thinking about it!
            www.belovedly.co.uk
            www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

They could be seed bead cubes, which should be available fairly easily from a spe******t seed bead supplier, and come in a huge range of colours.
              Celia
              I can't be creative and tidy too
              www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
              The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
              Jencel on Facebook

Comment

They could be polymer clay with microfine glitter- one of the girls on here does it on her site here- can't remember who, I just saved it to my favourites (apologies to whoever it is lol)!

Comment

I think I've found them, gonna order some and see as its hard to tell from the photo...

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=32777841

Thanks for everyones suggestions I wouldn't've found them without your help.
                  www.belovedly.co.uk
                  www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

Oh brill...lets hope they're the right ones, they look really lovely regardless though, I might order some myself, the only drawback with Etsy is the long wait for stuff to arrive from the states!

Comment

Hee hee, it's me wot does the glitter (thanks for the mention!)

I also do the Miyuki cubes too

I suspect these are the chappies, going by the description?

Emma
                      www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
                      www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
                      www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

I've just been looking at your site, I'm defo going to give the polymer beads a go- what wonderful stuff and especially since I've long been a fan of dichroic glass.

I hope Ali sees your post before she orders off Etsy, everything is so much quicker from a UK seller and often no more expensive when you take the postage and import taxes into account.

Comment

oooh, rubs hands with glee. I lurve coaxing people over to the dark side of the fabulous world of polymer clay!

It really is a fantastic material - you can replicate pretty much any other material with polymer clay, or just enjoy the many looks and techniques unique to it as a medium.

It is also really quite cheap to start out in. Worlds apart from things like ceramic clays or lampwork glass which are quite costly to get set up in.

Yup - I do think that when a person is tired of polyclay, they are tired of life.

Emma
                          Emma
                          www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
                          www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
                          www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

LOL, you're a right nutter, I love it! Bring on more nuttyness (is that even a word lol)! See you're influencing me more than you thought lol!

I never even knew PC existed- and no, I don't live in a cave lol! You've opened my eyes to endless possibilities...it was a revelation when I came across your site lol! I love the tutorials too- more pwease...you should get some on youtube too to drive traffic to your site. I'm very new to the whole jewellery making thing as you can tell but I'm getting there slowly, very very very slowly lol!

Comment

I have just ordered off etsy BUT they are tiny tiny seed beads 2mm so I was after something bigger aswell so I'll be ordering some of yours too YAY! I love the craft forum!
                              www.belovedly.co.uk
                              www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

Working...
                              X