problem with necklaces

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with necklaces

Hello, this is my first question on here.

I have a problem with my necklaces. It doesn't matter what I use to string them, they just never hang right. Maybe I just have a funny shaped neck? But I'm sure its more to do with my technique.

I have tried tiger tail - always has a funny little kink in it - can never get it to look necklace shaped.

beading wire - stretches and still has that funny little kink

Chain - now I like the chain and I love making stuff with it but the pendant starts meandering around my neck and ends up on my shoulder by the end of the day

I have tried to look for a comprehensive guide on what material and strength should be used with what beads and techniques but I can't find any. I can only assume that I'm the only person who has these problems and everyone else just knows.

can anyone help me please?

Ok hope I can help
    I suspect the Tigertail you are using is cheap stuff- Beadlon or Acculon drapes lovely and doesnt kink. Also make sure you are not stringing too tight - the beads need to move a little
    The meandering pendant could be to do with the weight of it - if too light they have a tendency to go walkabout
    Hope this helps x
    Chris xx
    My Website
    My Blog

Comment

Thank you

I will definately get some of that Beadalon now and stop messing about with the cheap stuff (I got it in a starter pack)

So what strand would be best? 19 strand seems to be the most popular. Is there a marked difference between the different sizes?

I'm such a novice. Sorry if my questions are daft ones

Debbie
      x

Comment

Flex-rite and soft -flex are also very good quality beading wires. In fact we are now stocking flex-rite as it has been rated very highly by bead magazine- they did a lot of tests on drape-ability and strength, and we are really pleased with it.

Which wire you choose really depends on the size of beads you are using, 19 strand should be fine for most things but if you are using very heavy beads you might prefer to use the 49 strand wire.

Good luck!

Hannah
        WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
        Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

Thank you so much for your help with this. I really appreciate it. Hopefully this will stop the tantrums lol and me muttering "stupid hand made rubbish" everytime something falls apart
          xx

Comment

Am sure it is not rubbish!!!! Using good quality products does help and that annoying rule of 'practise makes perfect!'. There are some tips on our website that you might find useful, and if you ever need some advice or don't know what to choose - give us a call, the girls here are always happy to help and make jewellery themselves so will be able to offere some advice.
            WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
            Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

Thanks My husband says that I'm too hard on myself. I had a look at your website and its great. Will certainly be going back for a proper look later.

xx

Comment

It sometimes depends on the size or shape of the beads as well. Lentil, flat or oblong beads often need a smaller bead between them so they lay flat. Heavier beads will also pull the front down and so you need spacer beads so they lay right. I usually use seed beads in between and think they look better than just all bigger beads.

Melanie

Comment

Ahh now that would explain why the last one didn't work. I shall take it apart and try that. Thanks.

x

Comment

Don't put your efforts down! We all had to start at the beginning and we have all made mistakes ... and will continue to do so! I have been in the jewellery making business for over 20 years and ... a few months ago I made a fabulous necklace. I tried it on and within minutes it had fallen apart. Why? I had forgotten to crimp one side upon completion!

There are rules we have to follow in jewellery making of course but it's also about "the feel" and this is hard to explain. Experiment as much as possible - rather like in knitting with tension swatches - make up practice pieces. For example, make a selection of crimp endings and then decide which one is your favourite to use for each weight of wire/thread.

find yourself a series favourite suppliers. Do they send on time? Are the beads/findings of excellent quality? Is the supplier friendly? This actually is important in my opinion because if the supplier is unfriendly or unhelpful, they could lose your custom and you could lose out on great stock. So, develop a professional but friendly relationship with the supplier if possible.

How are you on your artists? (Why? I hear you ask!). Think about artists and colour. If you go into Google Images and look at art by, Marc Chagall you will see he uses a lot of blue with green, red or orange. These colours go so well together. If you look at Jackson pollock you will see his art is a mass of colours and textures upon the canvas. You could bring this into the beads you use or the way they are beaded or strung ... It doesn't matter how you go about perfecting your craft, it's all about having fun, practicing and creating from your heart.

Don't out your work down - remember, Leonardo had to start somewhere ....

Rosebudlia xxx
                    Last edited by rosebudlia; 23-11-2009, 11:06 AM.
                    www.rosebudlia.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X