12mm gemstones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12mm gemstones

Im wanting to string a full necklace of gemstones such as Dalmation Jasper - when I say full necklace I mean a shortish one.
    I have been advised to maybe use a 19 strand wire but are there any of you that have made gemstone necklaces who may be able to help me by giving me some tips - do I knot the ends or crimp ?
    Im hoping to sell them and so want a very secure product. Thankyou.

19 strand should be ok, but 49 strand would be better. The more strands in the wire, the stronger and more flexible it is.

Crimpimg is the best way to finish the ends. They say you can knot the multistrand wires, but I've always felt that crimping is stronger.

This method gives a nice neat finish. http://www.jencel.co.uk/beads/magicalcrimp.php It turns a 2mm crimp tube into a bead that grips firmly, but you would need the magical crimp forming pliers to do it.
    Celia
    I can't be creative and tidy too
    www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
    The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
    Jencel on Facebook

Comment

Thats the same method I use only i use the beadalon pliers which do the same thing.
      Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

I use 49 strand with magical crimp as well. I also use the little wire guardians as they give a neat finish.

Melanie

Comment

I would use a 49 strand wire like soft flex wire or flexrite - as they are really strong and flexible as well. I would crimp the ends rather than knot as it looks neater - and the wire guardians /thread protectors that Melanie mentioned are really good, as they give a very tidy and professional look. I would also make sure you choose a good strong clasp as your beads are likely to be quite heavy... We have a good range of clasps including toggle clasps, magnetic clasps and lots of other styles.

Hope this helps!

Hannah
          WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
          Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

Thanks ever so much for your replies and I shall buy the magical crimp pliers - never seen them before.

Comment

Working...
            X