This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap beads and wire

I am starting to make tiaras as a hobby but havent done it before.

What beads and wire would you recommend for this? Tools too.

Where are the cheapest places on net to buy all of the above from?

TIA

www.mailorder-beads.co.uk seem to sell summit to do with tiaras, see their main page.
    Not sure re prices tho as i havnt attempted tiaras.
    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Hi Billy,
      I found the book 'Tiara's - how to make with beads & wire' pretty helpful. All info you need to get started, tools, wire, techniques. The designs are basic for beginners moving onto slightly more complicated designs. You can buy that from 'the bead shop (nottingham) ltd' They also sell wire, tiara bands and crystals.

When I first started out I found some great bargains on ebay. Tools, wire, beads pretty much everything. Sometimes not the greatest of quality but if you're just practising its not too much of an issue.
      Tiaras by Fleur sell a starter kit with all the wire, beads & head bands included.
      When making tiaras I mostly use 0.4mm wire & 0.8mm wire, although depending on design u may need slightly thicker/thinner wire.
      I find Swarovski crystal Bicone beads 4mm & 6mm are perfect for Tiara making as when worn the crystal catch the light beautifully. You may want to begin with a slightly cheaper alternative, but I dont feel Swarovski really breaks the bank that much.

Hope this helps a bit!

Take care,
      Lou

Comment

Fire polished beads and crystals are good, as they catch the light. You could use Preciosa crystals insteads of Swarowski to reduce the price a bit, and string seed beads on the wire to break it up a little.

I'd suggest getting a wire that's fairly soft and easy to work with, and complements the colour of your tiara base as I guess you'll be doing quite a bit of twisting if you want the beads to stand out from the tiara.

Ah, takes it back to when my wife made hers for our wedding!

Hope that helps a little

James
        www.crystals-and-ice.co.uk - Your UK source for fantastic beads, jewellery findings, and more!

Comment

Thank you.

Which are the cheapest bead shops online? (Not just for tiaras)

Comment

There's a lot on ebay, but as Lou says, the quality between sellers does vary, as does delivery time and postage costs, but it is a buyer's market on there!

You could try charity shops in your area and buy cheap necklaces etc that you like, and then break them down and sue the beads for your own jewellery - there's a good post on beading on a budget on the UK Beaders Forum.

Try googling for online bead shop directories and look for UK shops.

We have an online shop which you are welcome to look at to give you an idea of general prices.

James
            www.crystals-and-ice.co.uk - Your UK source for fantastic beads, jewellery findings, and more!

Comment

I would take the time to do some price comparisons over a few sites.
              I haven't done this for a while so I can't tell you exactly who is the cheapest at the moment.
              A few places to look - the bead shop, crystals & ice, bead works, constellation beads, gj beads, bead addict, beads direct, totally beads and jules gems.

Comment

Good pliers are a must!

Hi Billy

In terms of tools to make your tiaras you should make sure you have a good pair of 'round nose' pliers and 'cutter' as you are going to spend a lot of time bending and forming the wire.

My mum bought me my first pair of round nose pliers when I was 7 and I still have them and use them today... a great investment. I have just imported some Beadalon pliers to my shop, Beadalon are a big American company and known to be the bees Knees on most things beading! I havent tried them yet but I am sure they will be good!

Best of luck with your project...
                Kindest Regards

Fran

Comment

Using Bead making tools

I have run a great deal of Bead Jewellery making workshops and have been told some real horror stories of people buying 'cheap' tools on the Web. But also, some people duped into paying a lot of money for poort quality tools.

This led me to writing a little article on eBay on choosing pliers - "PLiers for Bead Jewellery Making" which you can find in the 'reviews & guides' section - let me know if this helps!

We now only sell quality tools - like a previous poster, Beadalon are recommended. Good quality at affordable prices. But if you want the very best, look for a make called Lindstom - but be preapred to pay a LOT!!

Graham

Comment

the idea is great!
                    Originally posted by CJ Beadworks View Post
                    I have run a great deal of Bead Jewellery making workshops and have been told some real horror stories of people buying 'cheap' tools on the Web. But also, some people duped into paying a lot of money for poort quality tools.

This led me to writing a little article on eBay on choosing pliers - "PLiers for Bead Jewellery Making" which you can find in the 'reviews & guides' section - let me know if this helps!

We now only sell quality tools - like a previous poster, Beadalon are recommended. Good quality at affordable prices. But if you want the very best, look for a make called Lindstom - but be preapred to pay a LOT!!

Graham

Comment

Hello. Please stop pretending you are a crafter. This site is for discussion between crafters. I shall add a quote from your website.

Wuhan Art&Crafts Co., Ltd. is a professional factory, producing process, and sales of various kinds of cloisonnegift for nearly 30 years, Up to now, our cloisonneproducts have been exported to over 30 countries including Europe, USA, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Australia, etc.Our products contain cloisonne vase,cloisonne painting,cloisonne dish,cloisonne winecup,cloisonne kettle ,cloisonne jewelry and also we product other crafts include weave series,fruit series,containor series,ect.,At present, we possess 300 professional technicians and experiences >>more

Now please go and advertise somewhere else. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by peter View Post
                        Hello. Please stop pretending you are a crafter. This site is for discussion between crafters. I shall add a quote from your website.

Now please go and advertise somewhere else. Thanks.
                        Get in there Peter!!!!!!!
                        Emma
                        Luxury craft supplies & magnolia Stamps - Sassy Crafts
                        Sassy Crafts Blog
                        My Blog

Comment

I'll second what Graham said about cheap tools! Go for branded tools, Beadalon or the Beadsmith. I wouldn't buy cheap tools but that's just my opinion! Been there, done that...

For Tiara, as mentioned, the most popular beads are crystals (whether Swarovski or Czech like Preciosa - I would steer away from Chinese copies), and firepolished beads, again go for Czech, and of course seed beads for ''filling'' and there I would go for Czech or any of the Japanese brands and stay clear of Indian or Chinese stuff. Also glass pearls.

Tiara is a special item of jewellery who can't look good with cheap stuff, or can it? The prices they sell for, I wouldn't like to have cheap stuff on one if I ever were to buy one!

There's a company called www.wires.co.uk who has a great choice of wires.

The wedding season will be in full flow soon and there might be opportunities! Good luck!

Bea
                          Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Hi

I sell small packets of beads and people say they find them cheap!

Lemme know if you would like to see them.

Comment

I am also just starting out on making tiaras.

I have found the book "Tiara's ~ how to make with beads and wire" cheaper on amazon

I searched for swarovski crystals and had to reserach the numerous sites for the best prices, veriant in shapes and colours... I've narrowed it down to about 5 sites

I got my tools, wire and bands from ebay.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X