X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What thread to string amber beads on?

Hi everyone!
    I'm pondering as to what to string some amber beads on as I'm repairing a necklace for a dear aunt. She was given them from my great aunt, so they are a 'precious' family heirloom (in sentimental terms anyway!) and they're deep red so quite unusual.
    I would normally use a stringing wire and double crimp it for security but worry that the nylon coated wire might rub and damage the beads. I was wondering if it would be better to use a silk or similar strong thread but then I'm not sure how to finish them??
    Does anyone have any tips for me please? Thanks,

Helena xxx

Hi, You could use a thread instead of wire, we do a silkon thread (LS108) which comes in lots of colours including a red and a goldy brown that would probably match amber pretty well, then you could knot between the beads for security. I wouldn't use silk, as this can deteriorate over time and you might want to restring them again in a year or two. The silkon thread is synthetic and doesn't fray or stretch. What size are the beads? if they are very small it probably wouldn't look as good knotted between, but if they are of a reasonable size - like 8mm or so this would probably look quite nice, this does give quite a nice classic look. I guess it is personal preference. The nylon coated soft flex wires are good and I would have thought they would be ok, I wouldn't think they would rub that much... If you decide to use thread, you can knot it only a clasp or use bead tips or similar. Basics of Beadstringing by Debbie Kanan is a good book with all the basic techniques you would need to us. Hope this helps! Hannah :-)
    WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
    Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

If it's a vintage piece then it would probably be worth trying to restring in the same style/material as the original which I imagine would be silk cord. I agree with Hannah though that silk does stretch with use (if they are heavy stones this could happen quite quickly). Griffin make an excellent nylon cord in a range of colours and thicknesses, that looks almost identical to their silk version (Google 'Griffin' or search Ebay for suppliers). This is easy to work with and has virtually no stretch.

Good luck with bringing it back to its original glory - I'm sure it'll look fab!
      Regards, Carol

http://www.lindenblossom.com

Comment

Thanks to both of you for the great advice. Think I will try the soft flex wire that I have first as it's in my comfort zone. If that doesn't work out I'll think about the other threads that you've recommended.

I just had a look on your website Hannah, you have some very lovely things. I didn't realise bead tips existed, but they look like they would be a good solution to my worries about finishing on softer threads.

Thanks again to both of you.

Helena xxx

Comment

Hi Helena - no problem... I hope it works out well - you'll have to post a photo of the finished necklace, would be lovely to see how it looks. Glad you like our products too!

All the best Hannah x
          WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

I don't want to intrude upon Helena's thread, but I have a similar problem. I saved a box of Victorian jet beads from the bin. They were all loose and being binned because they had long since broken from whatever they were strung on. I recently restrung them on loom thread .. will that damage them?

I'm really worried now

Comment

Hi Melanie, lucky you... jet is lovely. I haven't come across loom thread myself, but a quick look online and it looks like it is just a non stretch syntetic thread? if so I doubt it will damage them, jet and amber are so light that they shouldn't rub much. Best thing i guess if you are concerned is too keep an eye on them, if you notice any damage you can always restring them, but i wouldn't worry too much, am sure they will be ok.
              WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

Thank you for putting my mind at rest!
                I was very lucky to save them .. I can't believe they were destined for the landfill.

Comment

Its amazing what people throw away... someones trash is someone elses treasure!
                  WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

Very true indeed!

Comment

Working...
                    X