Knots!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knots!

Hi there, I've made a few beaded bracelets out of stretch elastic and the knots seem to slip undone...Is there a special type of knot which I should be using or is my best bet using some of that special glue??

Kerry
    x

I don't use a special knot or glue, your knots may be coming undone because you are not pulling them with the right force or alternatively the elastic is the wrong temperature, try cooling it a bit.
    Chris W.
    x
    Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

add a dab of clear nail varnish on the knot to seal it and stop it coming undone!

Helen xxx
      Helen xxx
      www.pinkanddizzy.co.uk
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wootto...zy/34439114148

Comment

Hi

Stretch Magic do recomend a particular knot - it is on the back of the packet if you buy a reel. Its called a double overhand knot, where you bring both ends together and holding both threads at the same time tie a simple knot - a single overhand knot, then tie another putting a drop of superglue between them and pulling tight. Somehow this doesn't seem to be very easy to describe in words, so as we have been asked this several times in the past, I think it might be useful to put some illustrations up in the techniques section on our website. I'll try and do this in the next few days or so. As I am new to this forum I can't post a link, but I will put the page in the techniques section in the jewellery making tips area of our website, which you can find if you google kernowcraft...
        Hopefully that will help...

Best wishes

Hannah
        Kernowcraft Rocks & Gems Ltd
        WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Your Destination For Gemstones & Jewellery Making - Since 1967

For jewellery making advice, call our friendly team on 01872 573888

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | GOOGLE+

Comment

I could never get the knots to stay either, and as it's children's jewellery I make I wasn't willing to risk any beads coming off!
          People do use lots of elastic in kids jewellery I have never understood it?!
          Harriet

www.seasparkle.co.uk

www.thechildrensjewellerycompany.co.uk

Comment

I think if you do the right sort of knot they are fine - you can always use crimps as well - just make sure you don't crimp it so tight that it cuts through the thread. I have just tried doing a reef knot (left over right and under then right over left and under) and that does slips... a lot! so don't use that sort of knot!
            WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

I find simplest method is a couple of overhand knots with a dab of superglue (then quickly try to tuck the gluey knot into a bead hole if you can as that will hide it too). HTH
              Mel

Comment

I tie a double knot and then another knot over the knot!

Never had a problem with that coming undone
                www.beadlab.com

Comment

I agree with Hannah at Kernowcraft - I use Stretch Magic and have never had a problem using their recommended knot which is basically an overhand knot done twice (although I do add a dab of superglue for luck )

I find I get the best results if I stretch and keep some tension in the elastic as I tie the knot and then pull it really tight - this seems to stop it coming loose.

Final tip, use a stylus or some type of pointed tool to help pull the loose ends through the loop of the knot. It makes life a lot easier as sometimes the loop seems to disappear as soon as you slip it off your finger.

Hope that helps.
                  Regards, Carol

http://www.lindenblossom.com

Comment

Hi

If you want step by step instructions on how to tie knots in stretch magic and how to tie the recomended double overhand knot, there is now instructions with close up photographs on the Kernowcraft website. I hope this proves useful, stretch magic is a great thread, but it can be annoying if you use the wrong knot and it doesn't hold! To view click here http://www.kernowcraft.com/jewellery...stretch-magic/

Hope this helps!
                    Last edited by Kernowcraft; 25-03-2009, 11:25 AM. Reason: link
                    WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

Knotting Stretchy cords

Hi,
                      I've found that even the knots on the package don't stay knotted all the time and I've just burned the ends (very slightly - someone once suggested a piece of incense works well) and mine have never come undone again (also when I use glue I get it everywhere except on the knot itself)
                      Doggiecookie

Comment

Hannah, I'm slightly surprised that you recommend superglue.

Any cyanoacrylate will make the elastic hard, and potentially brittle over time. A flexible glue like GS Hypo is much kinder to anything stretchy.

Don't want to teach grandma to suck eggs, but it's worth being aware of potential problems.
                        george
                        www.mizgeorge.co.uk
                        www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
                        www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

I was just passing on the recomendations of the stretch magic manfacturer - they are printed on the packet. But as you have mentioned that it could cause brittleness, we are checking with the suppliers to see what they recommend and whether they have come across instant glue causing the thread to become brittle or weakened. Will let you know what they say when we hear back.

I haven't used GS hypo cement myself - what sort of things do you use it for?
                          WWW.KERNOWCRAFT.COM

Comment

I have used the above knot with some jewellery glue on a few bracelets I made for people at Christmas. They have been absolutely fine, and not come undone at all.

As someone else suggested, while the glue is still wet, I pop it inside a bead and it seems to hide it and hold it more firm.

I also double the elastic, where the beads will allow me too, and this reduces the stretch and makes the knot stronger too.

Comment

GS hypo works well for me.
                              A good double hand over knot and a dab of glue, pull the knot tight for a few seconds while the glue is sealing and then cut the excess off, tuck into a bead, and it should hold. It was very trial and error at the start, but seems to work now.

Comment

Working...
                              X