The First Beads You Bought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The First Beads You Bought

where did you get them from? I think the first "proper" bead order I made was with Janet Coles Beads when I was 15. That's 20 years ago now. It doesn't seem that long ago

Jane
    For his hat was a hundred and two feet wide,
    With ribbons and bibbons on every side

Millars in Glasgow before they moved into the City Centre off Argyle Street, I think they were in Maryhill then. Little plastic beads they were.

Fran

Comment

The first beads I bought - or should I say chose and they were bought for me - was a large set of plastic beads from a toy catalogue. I think I was about 4 or 5.

When it arrived, in my haste to get the shrink wrap off the polystyrene tray of beads, the whole contents flew everywhere . I had a bit of a cry, then spent the rest of the day sorting out the beads, trying to find "the ones that got away" and picking out dirt, crumbs and animal hairs from them!

Yes, I learned the Bead-Spill lesson very early in life. Something repeated over and over in the subsequent years

I didn't then have much to do with beads or jewellery until I was about 12 I think. Then we had to do a school project for starting a business, and me and my team chose making jewellery. The rest, as they say, was history.

The same with polymer clay - I just always remember having Fimo kicking around at home, but for the life of me I cannot remember buying the first block. When I saw, in my teens how millefiore glass beads were made, I went immediately to my polyclay stash and set about replicating them! For the next two years I actually thought I had invented Millefiore caning in polymer clay how embarassing is that!!! I was so surprised to then see that other people had had the same idea.

So I don't really think I could have been anything else but a beadmaker eventually. I tried repressing it for some years, working different jobs but always came back to what I love. My family are convinced I must have been some strange travelling bead peddler in a previous life
      Emma
      www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
      www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
      www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

I was a quite happy insane artist, my darling wife had taken up beading at day classes, it happened when she found out I could put colours and shapes in the right places - I was designing so many patterns it was easier for me to do it myself. Then I discovered Swarovski - the rest is history!

Comment

Originally posted by peter View Post
          I was a quite happy insane artist, my darling wife had taken up beading at day classes, it happened when she found out I could put colours and shapes in the right places - I was designing so many patterns it was easier for me to do it myself. Then I discovered Swarovski - the rest is history!
          Just looking at your site and thinking maybe your pieces could look even better photographed in a woodland setting. A nice beech wood where the canopy is high so you still have lots of lovely natural light

Jane
          For his hat was a hundred and two feet wide,
          With ribbons and bibbons on every side

Comment

........................have to wait for the next full moon to get me in a wood!

Comment

Working...
            X