Seed Pearls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seed Pearls

I have been asked for a quote to make a seed pearl necklace for someone but cant seem to find a supplier for them. Anyone help?

To be honest i dont even know what seed pearls are...i presume just small pearls!
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

I had a seed bead necklace many years ago when I was a bridesmaid....(gawd this is a long time ago)

Yes, a seed pearl in today's language is a fresh water pearl. In my necklace they were rice bead shaped and quite irregular and about 6x4mm with the hole drilled along the length.

But sorry I don't stock these ....just though I'd have a bit of a chat

Debbie
    www.beadservice.net
    On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Debbie just hands over a glimer of hope and then rips it away with the other hand. ha ha ha
      Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

Seed pearls are tiny freshwater pearls - about 2 or 3 mm in size. There are a few Chinese sellers on ebay with them but they are selling in bulk.

Another thing you have to worry about is the size of the thread you are using - if the bead is only 2 mm in size, the hole is minute so you'd probably have to invest in some very fine silk thread.
        Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Hmm, ok. Thanks everyone. Not quite sure what to suggest really, to this lady. I could offer her a FW pearl necklace, but larger FW pearls.
          Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

try beadz100 on ebay. They have 2mm with a perfectly usable hole size - by the strand or in 5 strand packs. I prefer the potato shape, but they usually have rice as well.

They're not always listed - so it's worth asking them the question if they're not showing up. They're the small size in this necklace:

george
            www.mizgeorge.co.uk
            www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
            www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Thanks Mizgeorge. I had a search for that seller but couldnt find them. Maybe im just not looking in the right place. I did however see lots of FWPs that are small, but not too many that are 2mm.

I think il just email the lady and ask her specifics about size and shape of the pearls.

Comment

Luv the pearl necklace
                Kitty11
                http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/album.php?u=14964

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kittyx11/

Comment

I actually found the shop Mizgeorge and on first look they have 5mm potato pearls on show, but il email them tomorrow to see what else they have

Comment

I would double check with your customer on what she means by 'seed pearls' cos none of these pictures or descriptions are what I know them as!! For me, and the suppliers I get them from for work, seed pearls are basically cultured pearls cut in half or under half. They were very common in Victorian jewellery:

http://www.antiquejewelryexch.com/im...ducts/q227.jpg

Just realised I'd be quicker getting a pic!
                    www.silverrainbowjewellery.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X