Turquoise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turquoise

i have three large erm id call them nuggets of turquoise and have no idea what to do with them, they were in my local bead shop and shouting "buy me", so i did.

Any ideas about what to do with them?

Thanks

Jake

not being a jeweller Im not sure but would they each look good with some wire wrapped around them and made into pendants?
    Diane
    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

I just thought your subject heading was 'tortoise' - does this mean I need more alcohol?

As for your turquoise thingy-ma-jiggeries I like the sound of wire wrapped pendants too... or brooches... or could we see a photo so we know exactly what we're working with here?

Comment

Originally posted by Fluffy Squirrel View Post
        I just thought your subject heading was 'tortoise' - does this mean I need more alcohol?

As for your turquoise thingy-ma-jiggeries I like the sound of wire wrapped pendants too... or brooches... or could we see a photo so we know exactly what we're working with here?
        Na, you started too early.
        Carol
        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by snowgoose View Post
          i have three large erm id call them nuggets of turquoise and have no idea what to do with them, they were in my local bead shop and shouting "buy me", so i did.

Any ideas about what to do with them?

Thanks

Jake
          Pictures would help but if real turquoise then I'd say highlight them if you plan to string them - don't let other beads distract them. If large enough you could wrap them individually with sterling silver wire (like cabochons) and then use them as pendants. I think real turquoise is wonderful and IMHO to precious to hide with too much other stuff so let them show so people can see them. [Normally what you see in shops on strands is stabilised turquoise so that is why I make the point if they are real.]
          Mike, The Bead Company
          www.thebead.co.uk
          7 Keith Street
          Glasgow G11 6QQ
          Find us on www.facebook.com/thebeadcompanyglasgow

Comment

Originally posted by Fluffy Squirrel View Post

heheh tortoise, must say I din't know what he meant but I din't think he was going to ask about a tortoise!!!!

Yes I agree I think a piccy or two would help, just how big are they??
            Diane

Comment

Depends how big they are. I like teaming turquoise with coral so I think I'd have some smaller coral beads either side of the nuggets with a bit of silver either side of those and then secure them in place with crimps to make a floating type necklace with just 3 sets of beads/nuggets on it.

Originally posted by glasgowmike View Post
              [Normally what you see in shops on strands is stabilised turquoise so that is why I make the point if they are real.]
              The word "stabilised" doesn't mean that its fake - stabilised means that its been coated with something (like a resin) to stop it from being porous. When its very shiney, then its stabilised. Coral is the same - in its natural form its very dull - and very porous.
              Last edited by auntynet; 10-01-2009, 02:50 AM.
              Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Thanks everyone,

iv found some online that are the same which are these

Size is about 1" from start to end of the hole

Comment

oooh they look lovely, I like Auntynet's idea of having one in the centre with a piece of coral either side, that sounds gorgeous!!!!
                  Diane

Comment

lol, are you trying to get me to spend all my money i shall have to go and purchase some coral now

Comment

They look gorgeous! I'm no jeweller either but the silver wrapped wire sounds lovely, highlighting the torquoise. I like torquoise and white pearls together too
                      Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Yes, yes, yes please do!! (buy the coral I mean-not spend all your money) hehehe
                        Diane

Comment

Originally posted by snowgoose View Post
                          lol, are you trying to get me to spend all my money i shall have to go and purchase some coral now
                          If you're not in a hurry to make something and are prepared to wait for delivery from the US, then check out a seller called TQboy on ebay - some stunning turquiose and coral beads, all shapes and sizes and very low prices and he does say whether its natural, stabilised or dyed.
                          Auntynet

Comment

Wrapped with Silver Wire sounds good to me but I am obsessed with wire wrapped beads, but coral and turq. sounds interesting - Show us a piccy Auntynet.

Comment

Originally posted by Linda60 View Post
                              Show us a piccy Auntynet.
                              There's one on my album cover on my profile page. http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/member.php?u=13053
                              Auntynet

Comment

Working...
                              X