Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start?

For a long time now I've wanted to expand in terms of my crafts and last year I had a go at making a few pairs of earrings. I was really pleased with the results and I want to have a go at a few pieces over the xmas period.

Where do I start though?

There is a bead shop in the next town along from me, so seeing as I'm only just starting, would it be best to buy a few bits from there first and see how I get on?

Can anyone recommend any good websites in terms of supplies?

Also are there any good books out there for beginners?

My MIL has some tools so I will borrow those from her to start with, so really I need some idea as to what to do and a few supplies to get me started .

Thanks in advance!
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Katianne

I've got an Introduction to Beaded Jewellery DVD which also includes printed instructions. It was from geminicrafts and they're a dot net website (sorry I couldn't include the link - I don't have enough posts yet, PM me if I've confused things). Unfortunately I can't see the DVD on their site but you could get in touch and see if they still have it. It's pretty straightforward to follow as a beginners guide.

Sara
    Sara

For papercrafting and stamping ideas and tips please visit my blog

Comment

If you're after a book I'd recommend any written by Barbara Case. She explains everything from scratch in idiot-proof terms, loads of pics and some lovely projects to try. Well worth it IMO.
      Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

The bead shop isn't in Wolstanton is it? If it's that one, I would happily recommend you go and talk to Mark - he will help you find your way!

Comment

Hi Katianne

Have you tried your local library for books?

I've got a book voucher for Watersone's but every time I go and look at the jewellery books I get soo confused and want to buy them all. So I decided to see what's in our library so I can have a good look at the books at home and then I'm going to buy whichever one I think looks the best.

I have a barbara case one at the moment and it does like pretty good.

Good luck choosing!

Debbie
          www.aberjewels.co.uk

Comment

Hi Katianne

There are currently 31 free tutorials on my 'Beadclub' You Tube channel which you can access via my website or on You Tube: http://uk.youtube.com/user/beadclub

The projects range from very basic techniques for making earrings, necklaces plus lots of other project ideas.

Hope that helps :-)

Mel

Comment

OOO thanks Lili! These videos are very useful.

Comment

I started out by doing a beginners class at my local bead shop, it may be worth enquiring to see if there are any near you

Comment

Working...
                X