wine glass charms - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wine glass charms - help please

Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm still new here and haven't quite found my way round yet.

For those of you who make wine glass charms, what diameter loop of wire do you use? I know some are made with ring memory wire, but some are made with regular wire and that's what I'm interested in.

The reason I'm asking is that I bought some SP wire earring loops - supposedly - but they seem a bit flimsy for earrings so I thought it might be more fun to make some wine charms with them. They are 30mm diameter though, is this too big?

Elinor
    x
    Elinor
    x

My Misi page
    Follow me on Twitter

Originally posted by cupcake View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked before, I'm still new here and haven't quite found my way round yet.

For those of you who make wine glass charms, what diameter loop of wire do you use? I know some are made with ring memory wire, but some are made with regular wire and that's what I'm interested in.

The reason I'm asking is that I bought some SP wire earring loops - supposedly - but they seem a bit flimsy for earrings so I thought it might be more fun to make some wine charms with them. They are 30mm diameter though, is this too big?

Elinor
    x
    Elinor, I think this size would be fine and something as small as 15-20mm would also be okay. Much smaller a size and the earring hoop wire may be too stiff and then difficult to get off the wine glass when you need to wash them (or they get all bent trying). Consider also the size of the stem of the glass and the beads you are using to embellish the charm. BTW - It is a perfect time to make the wine glass charms with the holidays approaching. Some nice Swarovski crystals for the ladies and something chunky and silver for the men.
    Mike, The Bead Company
    www.thebead.co.uk
    7 Keith Street
    Glasgow G11 6QQ
    Find us on www.facebook.com/thebeadcompanyglasgow

Comment

Thanks Mike, that's really helpful. I'll give it a go, no harm trying anyway
      Elinor
      x

My Misi page
      Follow me on Twitter

Comment

yeah they're popular at this time of year, we sell some that are 20mm
        You can just ''colour code'' them with seed beads, i.e. blue, red, green, silver, gold, etc. That's what I had done, and put a bigger bead in the middle. Gets the guests talking, ''oh I'm blue today'' etc. Or you can just cover them all with one colour of seed beads (inexpensive that's why I use them) and then two or three same coloured beads to differentiate them (hope that makes sense!)
        They are quite popular for wedding table decorations too.
        Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Aha, I hadn't noticed those on your site, Bea. I've been buying quite a bit from you lately too, I hadn't realised you were on this forum. I'll have a go with the 30mm rings I've got, thought I could make them a bit smaller myself, then if I'm happy with them I might be shopping with you again

Elinor
          x
          Elinor
          x

My Misi page
          Follow me on Twitter

Comment

there is a good site "chamsupplies " that i have bought wine charm rings from. i found them to be very good. i have made a few sets with enamel christmas charms and "christmassy" crystals. i`m pleased with them, just hope others will be too.
            Last edited by just sally; 10-11-2008, 02:32 AM. Reason: i cant post web sites, so i took it out

Comment

I have been wondering about these as well as I wasn't sure if people would buy them. Until I went round to a neighbours' for a glass of wine and she had some.

Do they sell well at all at craft fairs?
              Magriet

www.babushkajewellery.co.uk
              http://babushkajewellery.blogspot.com/
              http://en.dawanda.com/user/BabushkaJewellery

Comment

I bought some christmas charms on ebay and made up some wine glass charms with them yesterday with the big rings I had (which I made a bit smaller). A friend of mine came round for lunch and I showed her, she'd never heard of wine glass charms before and liked them. She said they'd be good to buy as gifts, so I guess people will buy them. Can't post a pic as I need to have posted more on the forum.

Elinor
                x
                Elinor
                x

My Misi page
                Follow me on Twitter

Comment

I think the botom line with glass charms is as long as they're not so tight they cant move or so loose they fall off, every thing in between works

Comment

Working...
                  X