Fresh Water Pearls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh Water Pearls

Iv never worked with these before. OHs mum brought me back a string of them from Spain. But i havnt a clue how to tell if they are actually genuine fresh water pearls. They are in 5 different colours. White, browny, bluey, faint orangey and a sort of greeny blue.

Do the colours sound genuine? Will it help if i post a picture?
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

In natural form, the FWP's range from a pale grey/ beige colour through to a creamy white.
    They are dyed to produce the different colours. If you crush one, the innard shoud be a natural colour and chalky in appearance.
    The outward appearance should be that no two are absolutly identical in shape and size. They should not be perfectly smooth, but slightly irregular surface.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Hmm, they are all quite irregular shapes. Some are flat on one end though, like they were sitting on somethin flat and got squashed....

I might have a crushing sesh later lol.
      Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

I got OH to crush one and it was brick hard! It was a blue one so was blue inside. It just went into 2 bits. It looks like it has rings through it though, which is how pearls are made?

I just dont want to make things and sell them as FWP when they arnt them!

Comment

If you want to send one to me I'll have a look for you. PM me if you want to take up the offer.
          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

From your description they sound as if the are 'fresh water pearls'

They're grown in muscles and are farmed when the muscles reaches a certain age. The older = bigger pearls.

They are then graded depedning on their lustre and shape. The irregular ones being classed as 'non graded', and them more rounded into grade A, grade AA and grade AAA. The AAA are the best quality, and off course a higher price to match.

Natural colours are white, cream, peach, grey. All other colours are dyed

Hope this helps

Debbie
            www.beadservice.net
            On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Working...
            X