Smelly beads!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smelly beads!

I got some red quartz chips and some large barrel jasper beads from eBay. They are great, plus i got 4 free glass beads with them.....but they really stink of cigarettes!!

They smell really bad and i dont think anyone will want to buy a bracelet that is stinky. Whats best to get the smell away?
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Just give them a quick wash in a mild soapy water solution before you use them but be sure to dry them thoroughly.
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

I have never heard of beads stinking of cigarettes before!

I agree with the above post, a bit of warm soapy water is your best bet
      www.beadlab.com

Comment

It may have been the bag they were in. Smells stronger in there! Il give them a wash. I wasnt sure if i should use something special lol.
        Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

i hope you went back onto the seller and told them that their beads were stinky !
          Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

I have been told that if you place them on clean cat litter, the litter absorbs the smell, haven't tried it mind!! Selina

Comment

I seems likely that the Quartz is dyed, as red isn't a natural colour for quartz, and it's probably the dye you can smell.

Maybe a good soapy wash will get rid of the odor

Debbie
              www.beadservice.net
              On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Its definatly smoke i smell. The beads were packed seperatly and they were both stinky.

I didnt know that about red quartz. They are more orange than red. They are pretty though. Are they what we think they are?

Comment

They look a bit "waxy" to me and because of that and the orangey colour I'd guess they were Carnelian. But I could be wrong.
                  Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

They could well be Quartz but I would say the colour is dyed. There's nothing wrong with that, so don't be alarmed. A great many stones are dyed or reconstituted to enhance them.

Natural quartz points are clear when they grow out of the rock base, and the parts near the rock base are a milky colour. So I think they've used and dyed these bits to make them more attractive and saleable. The colour is similar to Carnelian, but Carnelian is a more expensive stone than Quartz, and I think they would have been quick to call it this if it was.

Very pretty though, hope you make something beautiful out of them

Debbie
                    www.beadservice.net
                    On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Working...
                    X