Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about when you're away?

Hi there everybody,
    Holidays are quickly approaching and I am not very sure of how or what I am going to do regarding to my beading while on holidays. I am not even sure if I will take some of my stuff and make something while away, or just leave it all behind...
    Anyway, the question is Do YOU make jewellery while on holidays or are holidays to forget about beading? And if you DO make jewellery how do you go about traveling with your beads, findings and tools? Do you buy one of those expensive bags specially designed for this or do you use one of your own bags?
    Is the idea practical at all? What do you think?
    Well, thanks for your opinions and Happy beading!!
    Monica
    Your mind, like a parachute, works better when it's open.

Hi Monica. I'd like to think that I would like to give it a break when on holiday, but I'll probably come across a shop selling lovely beads and then not have any of my stuff with me to make anything. I'm sure I'll get bitten by the beading bug whilst I'm away. You may get really inspired by something and it would be very frustrating for me if I'm then unable to make something.

I'd personally just take my essentials (like findings, wire, tools, etc.) Perhaps one of those travel cosmetic wallet thingies with see-through pockets might be a good idea as it doesn't take up much room plus you can see what's in it?
    Magriet

www.babushkajewellery.co.uk
    http://babushkajewellery.blogspot.com/
    http://en.dawanda.com/user/BabushkaJewellery

Comment

A bag of crystals, strings of pearls, tiara bands, wire and tools alwaysgo away with me and I normally create some arty tiaras. It's nice not to actually take commissions away so that the arty side can be given some freedom.

Whist away, I'll gather driftwood, seaglass, shells and pebbles to add to my clutter. because i'll have the wire with me I'll probably do some wre wrapping. To be honest the thought of sitting doing no beading fills me with dread.
      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Can you imagine the withdrawal symptoms?
        Magriet

www.babushkajewellery.co.uk
        http://babushkajewellery.blogspot.com/
        http://en.dawanda.com/user/BabushkaJewellery

Comment

I take some seed beads and spend my time making bugs. I also stock up on different beads whilst away - the bead shops and magazines in France are great!
          LC's Beads
          http://www.freewebs.com/lcsbeads
          http://www.lcsbeads.folksy.com
          http://www.lcsbeads.misi.co.uk
          http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...?v=wall&ref=ts

Comment

I've been known to take a toiletry bag packed with the basics (wire, findings and the essential tools and also a small selection of beads) and then sit making simple stuff like earrings and bracelets whilst sunbathing round the pool. Its also surprising how many people want to buy things from you cos they've never seen anyone actually make jewellery before.

TIP:- If you do take your tools abroad with you be sure to pack them in your case and not in your hand-luggage as they will take them off you at the airport (its not happened to me but I asked one of the security guys and he told me they always take any tools and confiscate them).
            Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

I have never taken any of my stuff on holiday (yet) but always end up buying loads of beads when we are in America. You would not believe how cheap all the beads and findings are in Walmart, plus there are a couple of other places that have fabulous beads that I can't resist. Just got back a few weeks ago and I bet I spent about $200 on beads, I love it when I get home and get to 'play' with all my new toys! Selina

Comment

.....................define holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by Beadsage View Post
                  .....................define holiday.

A week away from the kids (though at 23 & 17 they're not really kids anymore), the dog, the neighbours, the housework, the mobile phones.......

and I'm sure there are loads of other things that other people escape from.
                  Auntynet

Comment

Aaaaahhhhhh....................................... .........jail.

Comment

last time I visted my parents in Idaho, I had brought some knitting to keep me occupied but still went to a bead shop, as the toggle wasn't right on a bracelet i sent my mother. I got a new toggle but then bought some beads and wire to make a bracelet for myself... if we didn't have so much to travel with I probably would have taken a little bead kit with me... are those mini tool kits decent enough for travel with? (hmmm starts plotting)
                      Visit my blog Meridian Ariel or my Etsy Shop

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
                        A bag of crystals, strings of pearls, tiara bands, wire and tools alwaysgo away with me and I normally create some arty tiaras. It's nice not to actually take commissions away so that the arty side can be given some freedom.
                        oh thank goodness for that I was worried people would think me sad if I admitted to doing this......sadly this year i dont think i am getting away on holiday but the weeks that hubby is off I can guarantee you I will still be creating even though I have promised not to take any appointments
                        Something Shiny Something Sparkly
                        Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
                        My blog
                        Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                          are those mini tool kits decent enough for travel with? (hmmm starts plotting)
                          I splashed out and bought a set and used it once! I wouldn't recommend them at all cos they're only a couple of inches long and far too small to use when you're used to your "normal" sized tools. In fact they're that small that they really hurt the palm of my hand when I used them - right in the middle of the palm of my hand (the soft part) is where the handles on the tools rest and I couldn't get any grip on them.
                          Auntynet

Comment

tool kits

I bought a set of pliers in b&q the other day (i was looking for just one pair of pliers but ended up buying this set), it has five different pliers, in its own leatherette zip up case. I keep a few beading needles in it too. It cost just under £10.

Comment

The sort of places I have a habit of going to don't lend themselves to crafting on holiday.... I can't see quilling in the rainforest really working! Even if I do go elsewhere other than a jungle I prefer to spend my time sightseeing - our holidays are usually hectic and we come back to work to rest!
                              View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Working...
                              X