Swarovski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swarovski

Are Swarovski really the best of the best beads if you want to make up market stuff? Are they more expensive than amethyst or amber etc?
    Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Who's to say what's best?? I honestly think its a matter of personal choice. I use swarovski crystals in most of my designs just to add a bit of sparkle and I think you can tell the difference between them and czech glass crystals that aren't as expensive. You just can't mistake the shimmer of the clear ab coatingb of swarovski..

Having said that, I just made a bridal necklace with clear ab czech glass and although its stunning and the lady I made it for is over the moon with it, she admits she wouldn't know the differnce between the beads I used and swarovskis.......... apart from the price difference.

I don't believe they're expensive when you just add a few to a design (mine usually work out around 3 or 4p each for the 4mm size) but if I'd used them for the commission I just made then the selling price would have been doubled. And if I'm totally honest - it really needn't be that expensive, its just that people are willing to pay more for what they believe to be better ie a name they know.
    Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

They are wonderfully sparkly, and really make a difference to a piece. Some gemstones look better against swaro's and others look dull against them you will have to experiment. The prices range from 3p per bead up to 12p for 4mm and 6mm bicones. The 4mm ones are smaller than you think, I prefer the 6mm.
      I got a mixed pack from fan-uk on ebay which was good value and a great way to find your favourite colours.

I must warn you, your czech fire polish beads will never look the same once you have tried swarovski's.
      Melanie

Comment

For the stuff I produce I wouldnt go past swarovski....they are just pure sparkle but on saying that for my wire wrapped jewellery I prefer using semi precious stones but I have also mixed swarovski and semi precious stones to good effect.
        Something Shiny Something Sparkly
        Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
        My blog
        Facebook

Comment

I mix them all the time. I just bought some stunning African green opal beads and decided that olivine swarovskis will look perfect with them.

One of my fave commission pieces (actually it was the first one I ever did so thats probably why its my fave) was made from shiney black tourmaline, deep russet coral and clear ab crystals. The overall effect was gorgeous.

I've also used facetted amethyst beads with light rose and peridot crystals - another great colour combo.
          Auntynet

Comment

Originally posted by handcrafted View Post
            Are Swarovski really the best of the best beads if you want to make up market stuff? Are they more expensive than amethyst or amber etc?
            I think s-skis hold their own within the sparkly world of crystals but many people like semi-precious stones too - epecially the chunky beads. It more depends on the type of jewellery want to make and you could mix the two for some pieces. You also have to consider your target market and whether or they want/will pay an up-market price...?
            Mel

Comment

Hi Swarovski's are a fav of mine, I think they add something extra to a piece of jewellery and I use a lot of their crystals and pearls in all kinds of my designs.

They do add an extra cost to the designs however I have never had anyone comment on this and the Swarovski name always seems to attract buyers as they are known for their quality.

I have not used as much semi-precious, however did place a large order last night as I have had request for semi precious beads. I actually made Christmas presents for my family using semi precious beads and everyone was really pleased with them, although didn't believe I had made the jewellery myself which I guess is a compliment. Sometimes I find the semi-precious can work out more expensive than buying crystals if you are going per bead but there is such a huge range of s-p that the prices differ greatly.

Sorry - very long reply!
              www.sparklehandmadejewellery.co.uk

Comment

Swarovski

yes, it is really the best!!

I have tried other crystals but they do not have the same light
                Do you like it? Every day something of new.

Comment

I really cannot afford decent crystals like that!! I'm so jealous!

I definately think they look nice but it's all personal taste how they look to others.

Comment

It's really about personal taste...There any many women who love sparkly things, and therefore Swarovski Crystal is loved by many.

But to bring it into perspective, it is after all only glass which has a lead content that makes it shinier and easier for the manufacturer to facet.

It holds no lasting value such as gemstones, real pearls or sterling silver, but the brand name is very strong and people like it.

It comes down to what people prefer, what type of jewellery you're making, and if you're selling your jewellery what price bracket you're aiming for.

Debbie
                    www.beadservice.net
                    On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

But to bring it into perspective, it is after all only glass which has a lead content that makes it shinier and easier for the manufacturer to facet.

Philistine!!

Comment

I would agree that it's all about personal taste but I do think Swarovski are the best. They have marketed themselves so well that the name is associated with quality and they do really sparkle. I love working with them and I would only use sterling silver or 14 ct gold plated findings with them and that also gives them a more upmarket feel plus you can get a good price for your pieces
                        Carol
                        http://www.facebook.com/#!/CarolShawJewellery

Comment

You want sparkly?......................
                          Last edited by Peter; 27-06-2008, 08:34 PM.

Comment

I love sparkly!!!!for us girls it's all about the sparkle!
                            Carol
                            http://www.facebook.com/#!/CarolShawJewellery

Comment

My hubby calls it the "magpie syndrome". He reckons most women go completely gaga over anything pretty and sparkly.
                              Auntynet

Comment

Working...
                              X