Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiral Rope Beading

Hi everyone,
    I recently made a necklace for my mum that mainly consisted of a spiral rope with some freshwater pearls and stone chips thrown in. This was my first project and was quite ambitious but it turned out really well. The thing I wanted to ask was because I had to use sooooo much thread to make a 17" necklace (I think I used 4 of my arm spans), is there any clever trick to stop the thread from tangling? I had to start over about 4-5 times because I had knots I couldn't undo. Very annoying as you can imagine! So just wondered if there were any tips to stop it happening?
    Cheers
    Emma

What thread did you use? If you're using Nymo I would suggest running it through 'Thread Heaven' - a couple of pounds from Hobbycraft - to give it a bit more waxing, but run it through your finger and thumb to take most of the wax off before you use it! I'm playing about with KO thread at the moment for tubular weaves, and it seems to behave better than the rest - it's also twice the price! About £2 a 50yd reel. You're right about having to use a lot for spirals, for a 16" tubular herringbone necklace I'll use about 20 feet of thread, but use it in 5ft lengths, that's about both arms outstretched. Have fun!

Comment

it was nymo that I was using, will try your tips next time!
      thanks v much!
      Emma

Comment

spiral rope tip

Not sure if this helps but I dont have that problem of a huge amount of thread as I use a length of beading thread and then re-join as i go. You can usually hide any tiny "knots" or "tails" in the design and I find it much better than having the cat getting tied up in all the long thread!

Try it as an experiment and see what you think.

Comment

Working...
        X