Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stopping chain from tarnishing

I'm new to the forum so hi everyone!

Does anyone know how if you can prevent silver plated chain from discolouring? I've made a couple of pieces using such chain but it seems to have gone a funny dullish colour (not through wear, just from being left with necklaces I've made using glass beads for a few months?) Or is this just inevitable with plated metal and will I just have to pay more for real silver?
    Thanks for any ideas!

Hi Helena, you could try rubbing it over with a silver cloth which you can get in many hardware type shops.
    Mel

Comment

If I make something with plated metal findings and am needing to store it, I place in a zip lock plastic bag to prevent discolouration and tarnishing.

Some findings are better than others though, I am using better quality findings than I used when I started out. These seem to look nicer for longer.
      www.beadlab.com

Comment

Yep, use grip seal bags to keep the air away from them.I get mine from the bagnboxman.
        https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

stopping chain from tarnishing

thank you for those tips, I will have a look for some silver cloth, and it totally makes sense on storing them appropriately. I have all my necklces hanging together which is obviously not helping with the chain thing.

Thanks again.

Comment

As other have said 'grip seal bags' are a must for storing silver plated and sterling silver jewellery to prevent tarnishing.

Debbie
            www.beadservice.net
            On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

We use the gripseal bags, Someone gave me a tip the other day, spray furniture on a cloth and draw new chains through it to coat them. Not tried it yet but it should work good enough to keep the damp off

Comment

Originally posted by urbtaf View Post
                We use the gripseal bags, Someone gave me a tip the other day, spray furniture on a cloth and draw new chains through it to coat them. Not tried it yet but it should work good enough to keep the damp off
                How do I get my furniture into spray bottles, and if I manage it, what am i going to sit on?
                www.beadlab.com

Comment

Dont be cruel Pelbbles if you notice my threads I dont do speeling very welll. In fact its that bad even the spel check doesnt understand me. Funny thing is a friend years ago gave me a book on gem law dated 1600. it was written in old english and I read it without any trouble at all but no one else could make any scence of it , guess Ive been born out of my time
                  And dont tempt me or I might tell you what to sit on
                  Last edited by urbtaf; 23-05-2008, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Funnily enough I totally understood urbtaf and hadnt a clue what peebles was on about...it took me 3 reads of her comment to understand her confusion

ps thx for the advice about polishing the silver plating i have the same problem especially as i have my jewellery out all of the time for people to see when they come to visit me or i am at wedding fayres
                    Something Shiny Something Sparkly
                    Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
                    My blog
                    Facebook

Comment

My tips are as all the above.

Don't leave your jewellery lying around.
                      Don't hang it up as this puts strain on the chain.
                      Store in small zip lock bags. I got mine in bulk from beadshop.
                      Then I store them in a box.
                      I always keep a silver cloth to hand.

Hope that helps

Carol
                      www.carolshawjewellery.com
                      bespoke handmade jewellery
                      Carol
                      http://www.facebook.com/#!/CarolShawJewellery

Comment

I back what everyone has said, that's the only way the jewellery will prevent tarnishing. I sell the grip seal bags and the cleaning cloth as it goes together with jewellery making.

You can also get special tissue paper (anti tarnish, I think) to wrap your pieces in, but not sure where from.
                        Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

If you visit Lakeland they sell anti-tarnish strips. You can cut them into smaller pieces and pop one into your ziplock bag.
                          Heather
                          Artisan Glass Beads & Jewellery
                          www.BumpyBeads.co.uk
                          http://www.etsy.com/shop/BumpyBeads

Comment

Thanks for that tip, a trip to Lakelands is calling! I must also pop back to Jinny Ring as haven't been there for ages. I've just had a nosey on your website, beautiful work! Did you train in glass?
                            XX

Comment

Thank you very much Helena. Yes, the Jinney Ring has a huge range of craft workers, and I can see you're fairly local! Small world. I'm glad you like my beads. I am mainly self taught, but I had a lesson with Sally Carver who makes fabulous beads.
                              Heather
                              Artisan Glass Beads & Jewellery
                              www.BumpyBeads.co.uk
                              http://www.etsy.com/shop/BumpyBeads

Comment

Working...
                              X