Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 strand floating necklace clasp...help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 strand floating necklace clasp...help!!

Hi there,

I am making my first 3 strand necklace as an order for someone and I wonder what is the best way to add a clasp or what sort of clasp to use? Is a 3 hole clasp better than putting cone at the top and adding just a simple trigger clasp.

I want it to sit nicely around the neck.

Any advice or directions to a website would be much appreciated

Carol
    Carol
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/CarolShawJewellery

3 strand

I would use a three strand clasp if the beads are medium to large size. I have a few three strand designs on my website. The clasp is a Beadalon EZ clasp in sterling silver and it gives a neat finish. However if you are using small beads a cone should work well enough.
    Chris W.
    x
    Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

I guess it depends if the beads are heavy. I did a three strand necklace some time ago with average 6mm beads and used a crimp tube and a toggle clasp. (I'm a fan of toggles!). You can hide the crimp inside a 5mm crimp cover.
      Last edited by Bea; 26-05-2008, 10:19 PM.
      Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Depending on what you are stringing the beads on (i.e. thickness) and size of beads you may be able to crimp all three together which I have done in the past. If you can get the crimp bead close to the clasp and trim in close you may not need a cover although they can give it a nice professional finish. You could always 'practice' on some bits of spare thread before comitting to a method for the real thing.
        Mel

Comment

Thanks all for the advice. Love your work Mel. Your pictures are lovely, must be hard to photograph on a white background. I notice with the 3 strand necklaces that all the strands are on one jump ring finished with a toggle clasp, so I wonder if thats the way to go?

Chris, I think your right I may just have to practice. I really want to get it right for my customer.

Cheers

Carol
          www.carolshawjewellery.com
          Carol

Comment

Any more ideas???? please.

Cheers

Carol
            Carol

Comment

I have a variety of methods, depending on the necklace.

One method is a three way box clasp, which looks quite classy and sits nice and flat on the back of the neck.

A three way converter, fastened to a lobster claps using a jump ring also works.

A cone fastener works, but generally looks better if lots of strands are going into it rather than just three.

If you are using illusion cord or something very fine, you could just loop through a split ring (not jump ring as some of the strands may fall through the gap) and crimp.
              www.beadlab.com

Comment

Hi there,

I don't know if I am the right person to be giving advice to anybody, since I am a proper newbie to all of this, but according to of the books I have read a calotte should be suitable (as long as the material u are using can be knotted up).
                Well, just in case it helps,
                Monica
                Your mind, like a parachute, works better when it's open.

Comment

Thanks Monica,

I got a 3 strand clasp and it has worked a treat. My customer is coming to collect it this afternoon so I hope she likes it!!

Cheers

Carol

www.carolshawjewellery.com
                  Carol

Comment

Working...
                  X