Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necklace fastening, I am terrified

Hi there,
    First of all, thanks everybody for the answers to my previous questions. And as you can guess, here comes another oner.
    I have literally just finished my first set of earrings and necklace and I am very chaffed about them, but I am now terrified it's all going to break while I am wearing it.
    I have used a bolt ring and a jumping ring as the fastening, putting crimps just before them (you know what I mean, even with my bad description). I must say I don't have crimping pliers (though I am seriously thinking about buying some) so I have flattened the crimps with the flat nose pliers.
    I am now terrified the tiger tail is just going to slide back up the crimp and suddenly my necklace is going to break, I am going to lose my beads, and it's all going to be a catastrophe.
    Am I right in thinking that the crimp is the most vulnerable part of the whole necklace? Am I just being a newbie?
    Something else, when first putting a jumping ring on the tiger tail, the thread found the gap on the jumping ring (though absolutely miniscule and I can't close it any more) and the jumping ring fell off. Is this normal? I have oppted to use a jumping ring which has got two loops (don't know if I am explaining myself properly at all). Is this the thing to do?
    Once again, thank you in advance for your answers,
    Monica
    Your mind, like a parachute, works better when it's open.

Crimps

Hi Monica,
    Because I sell my jewellery through a shop I have to make sure items don't break easily or I will have to face angry customers. Crimp beads are very strong but you need to crimp them very carefully with a proper tool. I only use sterling silver crimp beads. The trick is to position the wire neatly before you crimp and then compress the crimp only once or twice or it becomes weak. I have starting using Beadalon EZ crimps for my website jewelley and I have to import these direct from Beadalon because they are hard to find here and too expensive, these are very strong and give you a really neat finish.
    I have found that tiger tail is not very strong, the beads can cut through it and would now only use Beadalon 49 strand wire (a bit expensive unfortunately) for average and large beads. Try using a spring ring rather than jump ring, this is less likely to come off.
    All I can suggest is keep experimenting, don't give up and if you make mistakes don't worry, just learn from it.
    Chris W.
    x
    Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

Hi Monica,

If I'm using normal pliers to flatten my crimps rather than my crimping pliers, I use pliers with grooves in the jaws (sorry, not sure what they are called). I fold the tigertail over, just a little, so that it still fits in the crimp. I find the ridges created in the crimp and the fact that the tigertail is doubled over helps it stay more secure. You could also use 2 crimps next to each other.

Hope this helps
      Carol
      Sparklez.co.uk
      Handmade Jewellery

Comment

I think crimp pliers are worth having - but it is up to the individual and you will find you develop & refine your techniques as you get more experience (practice). I find tiger tail to be ok for the most part and Chris's suggestion about using a spring ring is a good solution if you are worried about jump rings.
        Mel

Comment

You'll get the crimp tube to grip more tightly if you close it with crimping pliers. They make the crimp into a U shape which grips around more of the wire, and they're almost impossbile to remove.

Wire guardians are great for using around the ends of the wire. These not only protect the wire from abrasion against the findings, but also make a thicker end, so less likely slip throught he join in your jump ring. You also get a professional finish

You could change to using a 'closed' jump' ring or 'split ring' this will also prevent the tigertail slipping through.

Debbie
          www.beadservice.net
          On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Glad Kalinda asked this.I hadn't heard of a wire gardian before, but I've just googled it and it looks like a sound idea. I'll send for some and just a few more beads, maybe?
            Interesting about tigertail vs beadalon, I had wondered about TTail's strength for a heavier necklace.
            I've just learned a few things not covered in my jewellery course. Thankyou Ladies.

Comment

If all else fails - superglue??
              Cheers,
              Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
              Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

I am also paranoid about the wire escaping through the jumpring so I now only used closed rings. But I've also recently started using gimp/french wire as it hides the wire so looks a bit neater. Plus it protects the wire from wearing through.
                Magriet

www.babushkajewellery.co.uk
                http://babushkajewellery.blogspot.com/
                http://en.dawanda.com/user/BabushkaJewellery

Comment

I've tried all the suggestions made by the previous posters and would definitely recommend buying some crimp pliers - they can be a bit tricky when you first start using them but the finish is certainly worth persevering and mastering them.

I also only use closed (soldered) jump rings or split rings. And in some cases nothing at all - just make a small loop with the thread and use that although not on a more expensive piece as I'm the first to admit its not very professional looking but it does do the trick.
                  Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

I also use closed jump rings and at the other side I put the thread straight through the ring in the clasp.
                    I used flat pliers for ages with no problems but if you are thinking of buying crimping pliers I would suggest looking at the magical crimping pliers. You have to use sterling silver 2mm tube crimps with them but they make the crimp into a lovely little bead with no scratchy edges. I haven't used any other crimp pliers since I bought them.
                    Although beadalon 49 is definitely the best for stringing, it is expensive. I use beadalon 19 for the heavier or more expensive beads and beadalon 7 for the rest. If I am using see through beads or a design where the wire will show I use the beadalon 'silver colour' wire, It's a bit cheaper than their 'silver plated' wire, it is lovely, and bright silver which matches well with real silver.

Melanie

Comment

Just thought of another idea, you could use tornado or twist crimp tubes that are designed to be used with flat pliers. Like these
                      http://shop1.actinicexpress.co.uk/sh...t=Twist_Crimps
                      - They also sell the silver colour beadalon.

Melanie

Comment

Have you tried calottes?

They work well and give a professional finish.
                        www.beadlab.com

Comment

I agree with pebbles i always try to use callotes as they really do cut down on the wear on the wire compared to when you fold it back on itself and use a crimp,and you get a really nice neat finish with the callote.

the only thing i would reccomend is that you do use a little glue on your knot on the end of your wire or cord that will end up inside the the callote when finished to prevent it all coming undone.And also to use a wire guardian to prevent the rubbing on the wire on the hole of the callote.

however having said all that i have had trouble getting all the wires in the callote when i have done a multistranded piece (over 3 strands)as the callotes are not overly big.
                          Last edited by jasmine beads; 14-07-2008, 06:29 PM. Reason: didnt make sense

Comment

Working...
                          X