No announcement yet.

How easy is it to start up a web page?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How easy is it to start up a web page?

No this is not a joke!
    As I flick through all the threads on this forum I see that everyone seems to have their own web page/site! Is that because that is their full time business do you think? I organise fairs in the south east on a part time basis but would love at least a web page up and running? Can it be done myself do you think or is it Far too involved!! or perhaps its so hassly you would strongly suggest I don't even go there.
    Your thoughts ??
    Thanks
    Reb
    Rebecca

www.cauliflowercupcake.blogspot.com

Originally posted by etvoila View Post
    No this is not a joke!
    As I flick through all the threads on this forum I see that everyone seems to have their own web page/site! Is that because that is their full time business do you think? I organise fairs in the south east on a part time basis but would love at least a web page up and running? Can it be done myself do you think or is it Far too involved!! or perhaps its so hassly you would strongly suggest I don't even go there.
    Your thoughts ??
    Thanks
    Reb
    Hi etvoila

Its easy enough I suppose! Alot of people on here, myself included have used mr.site. Its simple to use and easy enough to set up a site using that. Mines not up and running yet as I want to have all my stuff available before I publish my site.

Mr site claims its so easy you can set up a site in a few hours, which I dont doubt at all its that simple, but i'm sure if it took longer your site would look quite lush!

s.x
    Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

I think if you are computer literate enough to get yourself onto a forum them you should be able to manage some form of webpage! It really isn't as daunting as it sounds. It rather depends on what sort of sit/page you want and the purpose you want it to serve. Blogs are really easy to set up. There's a link to mine below, but lots of other forum members have got them and everyone seems to have a slightly different way of using them with regards to content etc, so I would recommend having a look at as many as possible. If you actually want your own website then as long as you only want something simple you can achieve this yourself by buying a package like "Mr.Site" (there are others) which takes you through from start to finish. I haven't done this myself yet but I've heard quite a lot of positive comments about it.

I have a blog which acts as a kind of advertising and contacts page for all my on-line outlets, but I am also in the process of building my own website because I want a place on the net to sell my stuff that I can call my own!

And no I don't think that the people with webpages, blogs etc all have full time businesses (although many have)! Crafting is certainly not my full time job, I have four kids and a husband to run around after! A lot of people use blogs etc simply as a way to log and show off their hobby.

Hope that helps a bit. I know it can seem daunting, but 3.5 years ago I couldn't even switch the computer on without my husbands help now I'm building a website myself (with a little help from hubby)!

Good luck!
      Natalie
      website blog

Comment

Website

If you can get Microsoft Front Page onto your computer it is very easy to build a website in that. I found by using the right click function of the mouse you can work out quite a lot. There are also plenty of online sites that you can build a website on and have it hosted free. However if you want to sell online and need a shopping cart I recommend you look into it carefully as some options are not as search engine friendly as others and the whole process will be quite expensive so you need to chose the right one.
        Chris W.
        x
        Gemstone Jewellery and Gifts

Comment

Bonsoir etvoila

If you want to 'have a go' at building your own website, go to webeden.co.uk and click on the 14 day free trial. You can have a mess about with templates etc., just to get the feel of things. It's not a bad start for a first website and you'll learn a lot about what you DON'T want.
          Life's not a race, do take it slower. Hear the music before the song is over.

Sue

Bags Embroidery & Knitting

Comment

re building a site or page

Wow - I am getting quite excited now -do oyu really think I could do it. It'll be another obsession that I'll be on! My poor husband! doesn't seem to get much of a look in since i've discovered this forum. I thought it would be really expensive and would need an IT guy over to set it up etc! Wow, I'm gonna look into it! Thank goodness its the easter hols and I don't have to ferry the girls back and forth from school. More time to play on this!
            Thanks for your feedback!
            Reb
            Rebecca

www.cauliflowercupcake.blogspot.com

Comment

Hope you are progressing well with your idea ...it's a lot easier these days.

Another one to check out is Freewebs. It is based in the US and can be free so long as you don't mind the ads.

Good luck.
              Fair Do

Fair Do's!

Comment

i don't know anything about Mr site, but have noticed a few people with moans and groans about it!

there are quite a few totally free possibilities out there, so it might be worth an explore of the freebies first, so you can get a feel for what you like /want etc.
                the only thing is that if you choose a name, and want to continue with it , you may later find the actual domain name is not avilable, so it could be worth buying the domain name now, and using free hosting with that name or just "parking " the name til you're ready.

again as someody mentioned, have a play with microsoft frontpage as well.
                www.bravenet.com is worth a look, lots of useful info, and newletters and freeby tools etc

www.personalweb.about.com also has loads of great info, and again you can get tutorials as regular emails,in small manageable chunks.

Mind you I don't have a website, or even a blog yet! but have been reading up a lot about it all. trouble is there's perhaps TOO MUCH info available

Comment

Mine is not a full time business, although it is starting to feel that way (thats not a complaint) I did mine on frontpage which I found fairly easy once I got into it, it does take a while to get it to how your happy with although it always seems to need some tinkering. Domain name and hosting is reasonably priced but I have found it takes a fair amount of work to get onto the search engines especially not being any sort of a expert, at least though it gives you a good showcase for what you do. Linking it to a blog will give your web business a 'personality'
                  Amanda
                  xx

Comment

Website

Hi Etvoila

Id recommend getting a free site to start off with and see how you get on. You may find you loose interest within a few weeks like many people do or alternatively you may get the bug straight away. If you loose interest you haven't wasted money and if you find your interested you can look into it further. If you are looking for just a simple website with information and pictures its easy to build a site yourself. There are lots of good books on Amazon that are easy to follow or you can purchase a template website quite cheap (template monster) and change the text and images yourself (stay away from flash sites though they look great but are not much use).

If you are looking to sell online you need to move away from free hosting for a number of reasons. There are plenty of inexpensive hosting companies out there that are good like dataflame. There is also open source (free) website software you can use that's simple to set up allows you to take online payments and used by many people with no web experience. They have online tutorials to explain everything).
                    Suzanne
                    Handmade Jewellery | handmade cards

Comment

I was going to suggest Freewebs or Mr Site too. If I ever get round to getting a website I'll probably go with the latter.

A blog is an ideal way of "showing off" your wares and I know alot of people sell on Etsy too

Good luck with your venture
                      www.sewtobed.blogspot.com
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
                      www.picturetrail.com/sewtobed

Comment

you could start with MS pub

Hi Etvoila

You can actually build a website on ms publisher - it is great for creating pages just as you see them - and very easy to use. I now use dreamweaver for web sites buy origionally started with publisher. There are still a few of my publisher sites still going strong.

I would recomend ( if you have office 2003) getting their addon tool that compresses images.

What ever choise you make - the first step is always the hardest

kind regards
                        Brad

Comment

just created a blog dont know how to link it to my posts yet i will work on that
                          Jan xx

http://craftyjan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Bloggin' it..

I haven't got a website yet as I'm not in a position to start selling stuff, but I love blogging and if I can do it then it must be easy. Oh and it's free too - result!!

Craftyjan - add a link in your signature. Go to User CP at top left of page and edit it in there. Then a link will appear at the bottom of every post like mine. :0)
                            http://ethelandednastearoom.blogspot.com/
                            http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

i havent worked out how to get my blog address up to put it on i think i might need my daughters assistance so when she comes round i will get help
                              Jan xx

http://craftyjan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X