Introducing a Members Map?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing a Members Map?

Hi, someone who shall be nameless suggested I post this on here, didn't you (@£0I ?

On another forum (it seems to be using the same template as this one) they have a "Members Map" that shows other members where we all are.

Could the mods do the same for here?

For the record I live in Warsop at the moment as it's close to The Major Oak tree but I also live at Nuneaton too. I electroplate acorns, oak leaves, spiders and anything else that isn't glued down!!

Vik

Critchley
    Super Moderator
    Last edited by Critchley; 23-09-2011, 08:42 AM.
    Oakdale Studios Facebook
    Bob Tanner Facebook ~~Viktor von Forkenspoon Facebook ~~Shirt Creek Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
    bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

can't see the link as it asks us to be signed into the forum.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
      can't see the link as it asks us to be signed into the forum.
      Sorry. My fault. I edited it out with the name of the forum.
      Carol
      God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I think it's a good idea in principle but there are a lot of people on here who don't fill in the 'location' box that appears with the join date etc top right so maybe they don't want their location to be public knowledge.

When us moonrakers in Wiltshire have a get together it would be nice to ask other crafters in the area if they would like to join us. I have put a post up in the past but it's easy to miss as the forum can move quickly and it drops off the new posts which is what a lot of people log on to rather than trawl through all the sections apart from thier own discipline.

Mo.XX
        Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
        Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
        www.bodrighy.co.uk
        https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Originally posted by Oakdale View Post
          For the record I live in Warsop at the moment as it's close to The Major Oak tree but I also live at Nuneaton too. I electroplate acorns, oak leaves, spiders and anything else that isn't glued down!!

Vik

Electroplate them? What does that mean? (excuse my ignorance). I think a map would be good. I know some of the forum members aren't far from me in Coventry, but not sure which ones.
          Princess Prudence
          Keep Calm and Carry on!
          I just love to sew and make things!

Read all about my life and times at my blog: http://princessprudencediaries.blogspot.com

Find me on twitter: @princesspru10

Comment

I know a football forum I use had this but had to suspend it as it kept making the rest of the forum run so slowly, not sure if we'd have the same problem here or not. One to pass over to Mr M as he'd know the technical implications of it.

If it doesn't affect the speed of the forum I'd be keen to see something like that too.
            Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

OK, this is a screenshot of the forum I was talking about.

Hi all
              I'm not sure if I can put the Forums name on here or not, it's about canoeing and not crafting. If I'm allowed, I will, it's up to the mods on here.

As you can see from the picture it's very similar if not the same to the forum template we use here.

I have used it to contact members to go canoeing with. There are 1,264 members that have added themselves to the map and lot's more that haven't either bothered or don't want to.

It's not compulsory to fill in your location if you think "Big Brother" might be watching you, it's just another handy tool to have.

Vik

Map data ©2011 Google, Tele Atlas - Terms of Use
              VBGooglemap ME dashboard

Loaded: 1264 of 1264
              Current markers: 1264
              Current Zoom level: 8
              latitude
              longitude
              Currently viewing

Usergroup legend
              Registered Users
              Super Moderators
              Administrators
              Moderators
              Contributing Members

(c)vbgooglemap Member Edition 2007 V3.0.1 StonyArc
              All rights reserved. You cannot remove any reference to the orignal author without explicit written permission.
              vBulletin 4 modifications were written by ckgreenman and are released by permission of StonyArc. An official version of vbGooglemapME is scheduled for release Summer 2010.
              Oakdale Studios Facebook

“Our ordinary mind always tries to persuade us that we are nothing but acorns and that our greatest happiness will be to become;
              bigger, fatter, shinier acorns, but that is of interest, only to pigs. Our faith gives us knowledge of something better, that we can become oak trees.”

Comment

I forgot to add, it's a World map not just the U.K.

Vik

Oakdale Studios Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessPrudence View Post
                  Electroplate them? What does that mean? (excuse my ignorance). I think a map would be good. I know some of the forum members aren't far from me in Coventry, but not sure which ones.
                  Electroform means to cover an organic material with copper, I them electroplate that item in nickel, then I brush plate that in Gold like the acorns below.

Oakdale Studios Facebook

Comment

oh my word. That's amazing, I've never seen anything like it.
                    Princess Prudence
                    Keep Calm and Carry on!
                    I just love to sew and make things!

Read all about my life and times at my blog: http://princessprudencediaries.blogspot.com

Find me on twitter: @princesspru10

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessPrudence View Post
                      oh my word. That's amazing, I've never seen anything like it.
                      Thank you although I think they still look a little "grainy" although I don't want them to polished either, going for rustic, well trying to.

Vik

Oakdale Studios Facebook

Comment

Being a newby I'm finding it difficult to find my way around, a map would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by craftfayre View Post
                          Being a newby I'm finding it difficult to find my way around, a map would be great.
                          I was referring to a members map by location, not a popular idea by all accounts though.

You'll soon get the hang of the forum though, just fumble around a bit and enjoy the trip.

Vik

Oakdale Studios Facebook

Comment

Thanks Vik, exactly what I am doing. Maybe this should be a suggestion then. Please can we have an easy access map for newbies.

Comment

I too would like to be able to see which other members are in the same locality as myself. If that canoeist map in the screenshot is something that might slow the website down (especially if it has to have zoom facility to separate the flags in some crowded localities) I would be happy to see a non-pictorial index of members by the first two letters of their postcodes - for those who tick a box allowing that. The index could be accompanied by a static image of a postcode map (just a plain postcode map, without flags. Such as this areas one:
                              http://www.direct-marketing-lists.co...0x741-0709.gif (I am in HR). Or the first section of postcode (in which case I would be HR7, and map would be one showing districts within each area)

I already use my HR7 halfcode instead of place name in my 'Location' profile.
                              Breconeer
                              Last edited by Breconeer; 11-01-2012, 09:52 AM.
                              Chiselbrick; Turning discarded bricks into gifts that can last a lifetime and beyond.
                              http://www.chiselbrick.co.uk

Hand in hand, on the edge of the sand, they danced by the light of the moon.

Comment

Working...
                              X