Show review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show review

Why not have a section that reviews craft shows and gives them a star rating. Practically everything is reviewed these days so why not craft shows and this way the organisers might sharpen up their act a bit and offer a better product. Potential stall holders will be able to see the events that have good standards and the ones to avoid.

The problem I can see with reviews is it would be judged on our own experience, which is fine but some may do well at a fair others not and I think could end up in a spot of hot water with the organisers if too derogatory as their business's at stake.

Fairs are personal to each individual, I have attended some where I have sold well and my neighbour zero, so she could review as awful and I could say very good, reviewing fairs with our opinions could be quite litigious and emmotive. We have seen what has happened on here recently and think it could end up a slanging match with potential loss of business to both sides, as a bad review if seen by organisers could make a crafter blocked from a fair, a bad review could put someone out of business if a good review is not received.

If I was an organiser and saw another organiser being slammed would probably not want to offer the reviewer a stall at my event a very fine line to walk. It can also work the other way if fairs are reviewed the organiser would be entitled to review the stallholders, what was their attitude like to visitors other stallholders, quality of workmanship, stall display etc, any criticism works both ways and again can end up derogatory to both parties.
    Last edited by Caroleecrafts; 18-06-2011, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I agree with Caroline, many times a show/event has been good for me and not for others and visa versa.

Also, an event may be good one year, but awful the next for no real reason.

We all have to kiss a lot of frogs before we find our prince:-)

Jane
      www.just-soaps.com
      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
      FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

As an organiser (I hope a good one) I think this is a very bad idea. It's already been said that the comments would be based solely on individual experiences which vary enormously. Also I have to say that as exhibitors we've often done the same fairs two or three years running, and had very different results at each one. Who knows why? But certainly nothing to do with the organiser.

The best way for craft people to find a good fair is to take the trouble to visit beforehand before you book. Get personal recommendations from other stallholders. And never ever book a fair if the organiser is happy to take your stall rent without seeing your work or photos of it. Even if they're a new organiser and it's not possible to visit a fair beforehand, a lot can be learnt from the booking form and their terms and conditions.
        Kate
        www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

Comment

I agree with Caroline and Jane on this one.

Mo.XX
          Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
          Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
          www.bodrighy.co.uk
          https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

What would be interesting, and totally non-contentious. would be an objective review of fairs/shows, giving details of such things as type of location, ease of access, customer parking, weather and signage on the day, provision of facilities for stall-holders, the number of stalls, breakdown of crafts and approximate footfall of visitors.

What organisers promise is one thing; what actually happens on the day is all too often another thing entirely, for a variety of reasons, not all of them by any means the organiser's fault.

Comment

I agree with Kate it is up to stall holders to visit the shows first admittedly if the first show by an organiser ask questions before hand but any review there would be no control over what a stallholder said and would have thought this forum would shy away from anything that could be viewed as litigious.

Even your suggestion essessee could end up as a slagging match and free for all and again is something that should be asked of the orgniser and details that are required before attending the event not after.

I am very anti reviews for review sake as I said before they are all down to a personal attitude and personal opinion, a stallholder could take a disliking to an organiser who asked say for pli, requested that their stall be fully covered to the floor a requirement by most good quality fair organisers, no boxes or encroaching on the gangways, some crafters may take offence to this and write accordingly and this can be very damaging.

We all have our views of events and sometimes bad organisation has been written about on this forum but I do not think any of us have the right to become judge and jury about any fairs unless it could be guaranteed to be completely unbiased, such as would the stalls also be critiqued as well after all the make up the fair? I have seen some dreadful stalls on my travels not only display but also workmanship and not to mention attitude of stallholders, so any reviews as I said before work both ways and glass houses are very fragile. So maybe best to steer away from this subject and do what we do best creating.

Comment

Even good organisation doesn't guarantee good sales/footfall.

One of the best shows for me this year had the most terrible organisation/communication - I could never get hold of the organiser, was made to feel a pest when I did get through - so much so I nearly didn't go. Yet at the event we all did really well with our take being best to date this year:-)

At another all organisation was brilliant, all boxes ticked but no one did very well at all.

As has been said, network with others, visit events as a customer, talk to stallholders etc.

Jane
                www.just-soaps.com
                Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Have to agree with everyone here. No two crafters will have exactly the same experience and therefore no two crafters will have the same opinion. Who is to say which is more realistic for taking a view on whether the show is successful or not? Also, those of us who have done lots of fairs and some (like myself) who have also worked on the organising side of things are likely to pick up on things which others wouldn't even notice.

I think the only review can be made from your own experience and if an event is successful for you, you are likely to book again. If it isn't, you won't.
                  Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
                  Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
                  Follow me on Twitter:
                  @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Originally posted by AliCat View Post
                    Have to agree with everyone here. No two crafters will have exactly the same experience and therefore no two crafters will have the same opinion. Who is to say which is more realistic for taking a view on whether the show is successful or not? Also, those of us who have done lots of fairs and some (like myself) who have also worked on the organising side of things are likely to pick up on things which others wouldn't even notice.

I think the only review can be made from your own experience and if an event is successful for you, you are likely to book again. If it isn't, you won't.
                    Hear, hear Ali

Comment

can I add a bravo from me to for Ali. no need to say anything else, I think, as it has all been said already.

Except to say I have good ones, where even if I dont sell very well I'll go again because the organisers were brill and did everything they possibly could but in the end it is up to the stall holders to make Jo Public part with his hard earned readies. AND Bad ones where the organisers do not advertise and then cannot be found on the day but leave it to others to sort out. These I don't do again.

BUT I have to admit that there are very few fairs where I go to assess it first before booking. usually because I am already at another fair on the same day.
                      Last edited by Lilac Moon; 20-06-2011, 12:55 PM.
                      Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

I can see where you are coming from Turn That and it could be a good idea but I would imagine making it a fair assessment would be impossible for all the above stated reasons. There is also the possibility it could be used as a platform for (and I am using the words again) the less honorable among us to deliberately discredit organisations for purely personal reasons.
                        Carol
                        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Working...
                        X