Help with wood shapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with wood shapes

Hi guys – hope you can help, I have some queries on decorating wood shapes.

When looking for acrylic paint I noticed that there are so many out there and wondered if there are some better than others and at a good cost of course! Are there any brushes that are particularly good for applying to wood whether it be using acrylic paint or emulsion. I have seen some paint effect edging on some wooden crafts and wonder how you achieve this – is it with a sponge?

Sorry for all the questions – any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Lucy

Hi Lucy

I paint on wood and MDF a lot and I find matt emulsion works well. You can get 250ml sample pots made up and your local trade decorating store in a vast array of colours. At around £2.50 a tin it's very economical and it lasts for ages as you often only need the one coat. It's particulary good for use as a background colour on larger surface areas but has such good opacity I use it for smaller detail too.

I also use Americana, DecoArt and Anita's acrylic as these have super fast drying times. I've experimented with proper artist acrylic paints but have found some of these remain slightly tacky.

As for paint brushes, I use artists acrylic ones and not expensive fancy ones either... my latest ones are from WHSmith!

HTH
    Last edited by Khakikimono; 01-02-2009, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Hi
      I have just been painting a load of wooden blocks as pressies for a couple of friends who are due to have babies. I have used two coats of emulsion paint (tester pots) and then decorated using acrylic paint. They have turned out well considering I'm no expert!

I don't know whether people will agree but I have found that a couple of thin coats always gives a better finish than one thick one.

I applied with a flat acrylic brush bought from the range and then detailed with a tiny brush..... good luck!!

Get a spare bit of wood and experiment... that way you will find out what works for you and the finish you are wanting to create.

Karen x

Comment

Working...
      X