Long replies ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long replies ...

The thing that drives me nuts on this forum is the fact that when you take ages typing in a meaningful and well thought out reply to a posting, if you take too long it times out when you try and post and when you go 'back' to it the page has refreshed and it's gone!!!

Is there anything that can be done about this other than having to try and remember to copy the reply before you post it?

Here's hoping!
    Fair Do

Fair Do's!

You could try typing it in Word or another word processor, then cut and paste when you have finished typing. That way you've got a back up copy.

I've never needed to myself as I'm a trained touch typist and don't do particularly long replies generally speaking, so haven't had the problem.

Linda

Comment

After a while you stop typing meaningful and thought out replies.........................................se e?

Comment

Yes and for some reason when I press the backspace key on my computer it sometimes takes me back a page, which is also v annoying, when that happens I decide that I was doing a too long thing and make it shorter

Comment

I've never had that problem so I don't know what to suggest - sorry!
          Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
          My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
          My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Are you using Firefox ?

Back space is history -1 (the page before) But only works if your cursor isn't in the text box..

If you do click outside of the text box and please backspace by mistake then you can press "Forward" to return to the page..

Firefox will normally rember the info in the box..

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
            (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Fair Do View Post
              The thing that drives me nuts on this forum is the fact that when you take ages typing in a meaningful and well thought out reply to a posting, if you take too long it times out when you try and post and when you go 'back' to it the page has refreshed and it's gone!!!

Is there anything that can be done about this other than having to try and remember to copy the reply before you post it?

Here's hoping!
              Fair Do
              That used to annoy the hell out of me too as I was always getting logged out after writing a brilliant (honest!) reply. I found recently that if you just log straight back in rather than go 'back' you get taken back to your reply and can then submit it.....it only took me 2 years to work this out!
              Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Thanks all for your replies.

I'll try some of these suggestions out ...I knew there would be a way!

I have got Firefox but I use IE6 as standard.

Thanks again.

Fair Do.

Fair Do's!

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                  That used to annoy the hell out of me too as I was always getting logged out after writing a brilliant (honest!) reply. I found recently that if you just log straight back in rather than go 'back' you get taken back to your reply and can then submit it.....it only took me 2 years to work this out!
                  Never works for me!!!
                  Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
                    I found recently that if you just log straight back in rather than go 'back' you get taken back to your reply and can then submit it.....it only took me 2 years to work this out!
                    I just did a big one (oops, pardon me) and that worked for me too Netty and I didnt lose a single drop of my hard-touch-typed-wisdom/nonsense

Shaz x
                    Keepsake Kollections
                    & Rossendale Ramblings!
                    http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

It always takes me back to an EMPTY reply box!

I was so angry - I'd spent ages posting about what a lovely day out I had yesterday with my hubby and I added some of the pics we took cos the scenery was just beautiful and then it all just disappeared.

I have posted a thread about it on the suggestions forum. Hope something can be done.
                      Auntynet

Comment

Word

Hi All,
                        Word rules OK!

Being dyslexic is a bit of a problem at the best of times so I type everything in Word and then copy and past. It’s quick, I can take as long as it takes me to write the odd book as I tend to write quite slowly and the spelling and grammar checker sometimes works as well. Above all it gives me the confidence to communicate on something approaching level terms.

Regards,

I..
                        www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/?saved=1

Comment

I don't have a problem with typing slow - I'm a fully qualified personal assistant and my typing skills are excellent ie I use all eight fingers and one thumb and I don't look at the keys . . . . . well maybe when I'm doing numbers but thats all! (blows own trumpet )

Its the adding pics bit that takes up my time, switching from one screen to another and copying links.

It really does make sense to me to only time out for inactivity but when someone's typing a post, it shouldn't do it.

(I'm a Yorkshire Lass - I tend to speak as I find).
                          Auntynet

Comment

As a touch typist that is about the only thing I don't have a problem with. The ones I do are too numerous to list here and would bore you anyway.
                            Carol.
                            Carol
                            God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Working...
                            X