Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's missing

Hi guys,

I feel that common sense is missing but there's probably a logical reason behind the rule that a member of this site is not permitted to post a URL until they've posted twenty five messages.

Suppose that members did the same thing and didn't mention this site to other people until they'd posted their twenty five messages and were allowed to mention URLs of other sites here ... a case of "I'll scratch your back if you scratch my back and if you won't then I won't either". Your site wouldn't be all that well promoted.

Christopher

It's to stop the spammers, people who join purely to promote their business (sometimes not even craft related!) You can put your own website/log in your signature.

you will see quite a lot of posts where someone with less than 25 does mention other sites( maybe not with a URL) and if it is genuine, useful info, it's normally allowed! depends what kind of mood the ogres , oops I meant moderators are in .

I think it works quite well as it is, as genuine helpful advice/ info gets through, and spammers (or worse ) quickly get removed, and fed up trying to spam,and don't bother coming back.

Comment

This forum is based on people sharing about crafts. We endevour to keep the forum free of spammers who join merely to promote their sites. The forum is full of useful information etc but is not directly used as an advertising site there is a directory linked to the forum for that purpose.
      The moderators try to be consistant and moderate in a fair manner.
      Forum etiquette on this forum is that you introduce yourself and join in with the forum before you shove your product in our faces!! We happen to think that this actually keeps spammers and those just out to self promote away... Isn't that common sense?
      And as for promotion of this site on other places, our genuine members do plenty of that!
      full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

25 Posts

THIS SITE WORKS FINE FOR ME!!! IT DOESN'T TAKE LONG TO REACH 25 POSTS. BE PATIENT!!!!!. SUE .
        http://susieQinblogland.blogspot.com

Comment

I too like the 25 post rule! I would say that most probably everyone on here does, we like to be spam free.

This forum is so packed full of brilliant info, but is also a good place for non-craft related topics. which is nice!

The mods do a good a job at sifting out the rubbish for us, we dont want to make it easier for the spam heads to post there spam everywhere! And they are fair to new members and old, so for example if i came on here and started hurling insults at you or anyone else then i would sure know about it!!!!

25 posts isnt that much really if you think about it. There are a lot of new threads and posts each day, that if you have something to contribute to them it would be very useful and most definitly welcome...25 posts before you know it. Other members will begin to recognise you too then, which makes this forum what it is.

Hope this helps.

s.x
          Sophie.x

Sometimes what we say is not what we mean & what we mean is not what we say - that's why I paint!

My bloggity blog

My Etsy shop

Comment

Same here. I like the 25 post rule.

Hate logging on in the morning sometimes and finding the odd spam message that has got through during the night.
            Moderators here are on the ball and will delete and ban anyone if they start spamming.
            Av xx
            Sprinkles Sparkles

Comment

I've just had a look at your posts Christopher.................have you thought of posting something positive, or are you naturally antagonistic? You complained that you searched for 'Belfast' and could only find 'Northern Ireland'...........maybe we should have been a little more specific and cross referenced under Belfast, Ulster, Northern Ireland, The Six Counties.................et al. Either join in with the forum or go and play with the forum you promote.

Comment

if you just add your post code peter, to your location, id be able to find you
                Av xx
                Sprinkles Sparkles

Comment

I agree that it takes no time at all to reach 25 posts and the reason for joining is to take part and learn things as well as passing on advice when able. I can't say it bothered me not to be able to post links until after 25 posts - I was not on here to advertise anything and if someone was searching for a supplier etc it was generally sufficient to mention the name and a google search would get the info.

So busy reading threads and looking at what was there, as well as making postings that I was over 25 without thinking about it.

Relax!
                  Cynthia
                  http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Don't you just love the way people wander onto the forum and then start ripping it to shreds before they've had chance to join in and see what it all about? (Possibly the number of posts is a bit of a giveaway with regard to how much 'joining in' they've actually done!) I'm just trying to figure out where common sense comes into 'knee jerk' reactions
                    Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

I'm nearly there!
                      With love
                      Em
                      xx

www.pixiedoodles.co.uk
                      www.facebook.com/pixiedoodles1
                      http://twitter.com/ pixiedoodles

Comment

Don't you just love the way people wander onto the forum and then start ripping it to shreds before they've had chance to join in and see what it all about? (Possibly the number of posts is a bit of a giveaway with regard to how much 'joining in' they've actually done!) I'm just trying to figure out where common sense comes into 'knee jerk' reactions
                        I love the way the moderators deal with spammers and people who do nothing but criticise. They are very gentle and considerate, but firm (to start with!).

This is a great forum. I may not contribute much useful information, but I do sit here reacting to posts that have been made and sometimes I even talk to the posts (note - talk to, not at!).

Linda

Comment

i agree with the 25 rule ive only just started on the computor i think to get the most out of the forum you have to input helpful info not be negative if i wanted negativity i could watch the news its nice here because theres lots of encouragement to do your own thing and only helpful pointers to how you can improve dont need anyone downing me or what i like i can do that myself
                          Jan xx

http://craftyjan.blogspot.com/

Comment

Look how quickly some of the people here have got to 25 posts....... not mentioning any names, shaz!

I am wondering what christopher wants to tell us about so urgently that he does not have the time to wait for 25 posts?

So although I agree with all the other forum members, my curiosity is getting the better of me.....
                            www.beadlab.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pebbles View Post
                              Look how quickly some of the people here have got to 25 posts....... not mentioning any names, shaz!

I am wondering what christopher wants to tell us about so urgently that he does not have the time to wait for 25 posts?

So although I agree with all the other forum members, my curiosity is getting the better of me.....
                              Never thought of it that way - what anticipation you have now aroused!!!!!!!!
                              Cynthia
                              http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X