Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy on the block!

Hi,

I'm an artist hoping to explore craft fairs as a means of selling my work, you can see what I do at: MOD EDIT - PLEASE READ POSTING RULES Re URLs Hope you like my stuff. I paint in oils and acrylics, and will paint most things if they stand still for long enough!! The mosaics are my sister's and the photos are my wife's.

I don't really know how well paintings sell at craft fairs, can anyone give me advice on this. What price range sells best, and how do I accept money for the more expensive stuff? I can't accept card payments at the moment. Infact any general advice would be very welcome!

All the best,

Igw
    Last edited by Peter; 05-03-2008, 10:10 AM.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I can't really advise too much on the painting side of craft fairs however the ones that I have attended I do see artists doing very well particularly if you are prepared to pop up an easle and paint at the fair - this really catches peoples eye and are more inclinde to pop up and see what is going on.

Cheers.

Lisa

Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Can't offer any advice either I'm afraid, but I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to.
      Just had a look at your paintings. I think they are all fab but I especially like the woodland ones, probably because I'm a bit of a tree hugger!
      Natalie
      website blog

Comment

Hello &
        Av xx
        Sprinkles Sparkles

Comment

to the forum from me too. I've just started doing fairs myself but my stuff is made using people's own photographs so, by its very nature, I never expect to "sell on the day". My main objective is to have my work seen by as many people as possible, get them to grab a leaflet, hopefully look at my Blog when they get home and I try to make myself so memorable to them that, when theyre ready, I hope theyll contact me!

So even though you might and hopefully will make sales on the day, remember the potential for after-sales is almost as valuable for your type of work too

hth
          shaz x
          Keepsake Kollections
          & Rossendale Ramblings!
          http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

Hello and to the forum!
            Anice xx
            Funkyhand x
            my website
            http://www.funkyhand.com
            my blog (updated 09/06/10)
            http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
            Follow me on Twitter
            http://twitter.com/funkyhand

Comment

Thanks

Hi again,

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've looked at your sites, great stuff!

I do plan to paint at my first fair, which might be offered as a raffle prize in exchange for an email list. It’s going to be a scary thing for me to do! Good pont about the after sales possibilty. I guess business cards are a must. I look forward to contributing if I can.

igw

PS Sorry moderator, I shamelessly included a link so people could see my work and know a little more about me. Please accept my apologies.

Comment

if you put your home page, blog or other link addres in your profile, it can be accesssed from there, so we can all have a butchers at your stuff

and to the forum btw

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the idea, I've done as you suggested. My website is in my public profile.

Take care,

igw

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum

I have a friend who is a watercolour wildlife artist, who does attend craft fairs.

You do have to be selective though, it's best to find the craft fairs that sell more things by artists, potters, glassmakers, silversmiths etc, rather than some of the smaller craft fairs that attract hobbyists.

Debbie
                    www.beadservice.net
                    On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Hi and welcome - - I cannot help much on the art side, but no doubt you will find lots of others who do. Hope you enjoy the forum.
                      Cynthia
                      http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Nice site,lovely paintings,nosaics etc..
                        Like the tips, as I try to paint (try being the operative word!)

Re craft fairs :
                        personally if & when i go to these ,I always take a limited amount of money, as I'm a terrible impulse purchaser! , but there's always a cash machine not too distant if there's something that simply has to be bought!
                        As many have said,Craft fairs are not just about selling the products, but selling yourself, and advertising. Making sure you have plenty of leaflets, with web address, so you can contacted at a later date.

Good luck with the fairs!

Comment

Working...
                        X