♥ Hi, from a well light Blackpool!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ♥ Hi, from a well light Blackpool!!

Who am I? Geek. Gamer. Artist. Crafter. Designer. Maker. List goes on...... Looking to make new friends in the Arts & Crafts world.

Hey everyone apparently I first joined this site in 2012.. well I really don't remember that!! So after just redescovering, and updating my profile I thought I'd start here by saying hello.. So.. Hello.

My names Imogen, I'm nearly 27 and I am now living in the some what illuminated seaside town of Blackpool. I've lived here about 18months now after 4 year relationship breakdown I'm now back at my parents which is really hard for me. I have 2 cats. I'm disabled - possibly sounds worse than it is.

I do digital paintings, drawings, various art, photography, fractal manipulation.. list goes on. I have qualifications in Art & Design. I do crafts such as jewellery making, altered items, home decor, paper crafts such as mini albums and cards. I have dabbled with polymer clay. I'm learning pyrography (wood burning). I love so many different arts and crafts, upcycling, recreating, repurposing, DIY, thrifting, home decor, home design, home renovation, and so much more. I would love to be able to knit n crochet but I seemingly have the skills of a fish when it comes to that kinda creating right up there with cooking as I seemingly can't do that well either. (But we've got plenty time to learn new skills).

Anyways looking for friends and to be inspired. So feel free to say hi

♥ Imogen xoxo
    missimoinsane
    - Imogen xoxo

Geek. Artist. Crafter. Creater. DIYer. Upcycler. Designer. Maker. Gamer.
    With so many craft skills I'm always wanting to learn more. And meet new people along the way.
    Make & Sell Jewellery @ www.facebook.com/creationsofmissimoinsane

to the forum
    Lucy Blossom
    Shop and blog: http://www.lucyblossomcrafts.co.uk
    https://www.facebook.com/LucyBlossomCrafts

Comment

Hello Imogen and to the forum

Comment

Hi Imogen I am also new-ish and getting into pyrography would be nice to compare notes. what type of wood you burn on what you burn with etc

Welcome
        https://www.facebook.com/lawsonpens?ref=hl

Comment

Hi Imogen, welcome to the forum.

Dave.

Comment

Hi Again. I'm sure I replied to one of your posts before. Don't be shy and post more often!!
            Casting pewter..in a field near you.

Comment

Hello! New member myself too!

Comment

Hello and welcome back

Comment

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you rediscovered us.
                  View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Thank you Lucy Blossom, Caroleecrafts, Tephy, 3dDave, ferrer caster, alan46, Christina and indri for your lovely message. I hope to get to know you all and I hope you're all well

Ps. Sorry for the delayed reply I'm really not very well atm
                    Last edited by missimoinsane; 09-11-2015, 08:43 PM.
                    - Imogen xoxo

With so many craft skills I'm always wanting to learn more. And meet new people along the way.

Comment

Hello Tephy,

That would be great!!

I made a rookie mistake and bought a real basic one temperature £12.99 pyrography machine. Although it comes with one head and a bunch of screw ons. The screw on's fit over the original head and do not get hot enough at all :'( so working with just the basic chisel head (forgive me I'm not familiar with proper names yet) I managed to create this...

I have since watched a few videos and managed to pick up a temperature controlled multi-unit which I haven't had a chance to try out yet at all. I bought a bunch of sliced pieces a few inches a piece and also some thin laser cut MDF pieces off of ebay.. Which I want to try out. Just atm I'm not well and had other things 'happening'. But the unit I managed to pick up brand new on sale for £65 I believe it's a German product (could be wrong) but it's got the UK plug so that's good and came with about 12 heads some of which are patterned and basic heads.

But it sure would be nice to see how you're doing. I did an initial light pencil sketch onto the wood, traced and then tried to shade... I don't think it turned out tooooo terrible for a first attempt lol.

Anyways Tephy I look forward to hearing from you but atm I am such a noob.
                      I don't even know what the wood was *looks on eBay purchase history* the slices are unknown tree (helpful) but I got 50-70pcs for £10 inc P&P one off buy. Then the other shapes that are laser cut I've not tried yet but they're laser cut MDF by eBay seller 'madeyourway' which I found to be the cheapest on eBay for both good quality and quantity for the price I hope that helps and would love to hear what you use I want to get good enough to make personalised jewellery pieces (as I already make n sell jewellery[MOD EDIT]sorry Imogen, can't refer people to other places you may be found on until 25 posts. (can't post links yet)

Imogen xoxo

Edit: Ps. After thought. I also bought a heavy-ish cast iron base spring stand as the lil plastic and metal ones provided just done hold the iron as their wires usually pull them over. I actually got the tip off of a YouTuber before I even bought my first machine as I didn't wona burn me or the floor or generally anything that shouldn't be burnt or risk fire. So I'd deffinitly advise that I picked mine up for about £8 inc P&P and mine has a lil well at the bottom where I can put hot heads when changing them out and while I wait for them to cool down.
                      Last edited by missimoinsane; 09-11-2015, 10:15 PM.
                      - Imogen xoxo

Comment

Originally posted by ferrers caster View Post
                        Hi Again. I'm sure I replied to one of your posts before. Don't be shy and post more often!!
                        Hey I don't seem to have previous forum posts :/ but I have been on other forum sites before... and have the same user name on a lot of things including YouTube etc. It's nice to meet you or meet you again take care xoxo
                        - Imogen xoxo

Comment

Hi Imogen

I tried with a converted 30 watt soldering iron .. big mistake! However it was enough to see if I would enjoy it. I used to own a glass studio where I hand engraved lead crystal and still have the machine for that and have used some of the techniques from that.
                          At the moment am waiting for the delivery of the single pen kit from " Peter Child " Google it as can't link to websites yet either. Similar to what you have bought but I can make my own tips if I want also I took a 2 hr drive to play with it before buying which was great to get hands on

The skull look great, if the wood slices are not dry be careful they don't split. Be careful with the fumes from MDF as well as the resins/glue used to bond the fibers can be really nasty health wise.

I am also a wood turner and often use the apple and pear wood pruned from the garden to slice up but have to wait 2 yrs to let them dry to prevent splitting. I have been told then you can force dry green wood in a microwave, and having just brought a new one am going to give it a go with the old one What's the worst that can happen?

With regards to wood burning I am also a real noob maybe inspire each other. Tip : don't use carbon paper to transfer a design to wood. I used to use a white transfer paper when doing glass but it was also available in red so will be looking into that. I was similar to the chinagraph pencil I used to sketch designs.

I know what you mean about the flimsy stands I have a metal one that used to fall over when the iron was put in it, solved it by adding several magnets from old speakers also allows me to stick things where I know they won't roll away. It worked great with the iron from when I was doing encaustic work

The name Tephy comes from a shortened version of Tephensa and was given me by someone in the Shetland Isles, it just stuck. Tephensay is Stephen in 'backslang' I just removed the 'Y' . I have been on the internet since about 1995 so I have been on a few sites, however I have never posted on Youtube ( watch a hell of a lot though ) often thought about it and lots of friends say I should but there is only so much you can do in one day.

At the moment. having finished 50 snowmen I now have 50 little birdhouses to do ( I have done 2 so far ) , these are small tree decorations. I also have 50 weather hedgehogs to do, a witch automator, a German nutcracker figure and 2 wooden rings, also a few people want some wands. I might even get time to make some pens eventually.

One of the first web sites I seriously put together was about our dog but as it was done in 32bit and I now work in 64bit it won't let me in also the network provide no longer exists so it just sits in the internet ether.
                          http:QQQQ//QQQQhomepages.QQQQnildram.coQQQQ.ukQQQQ/~elcama/QQQQdocuments/QQQQ28.html (remove all the Q 's )

Just though the Peter Child machine comes with a clip to hold the pen, how cool is that ...

Another tip when burning avoid heavy grain wood like pine as this can drag your tip all over the place when doing lines.

Anyway nice to chat .. you take care

Tephy x
                          https://www.facebook.com/lawsonpens?ref=hl

Comment

Welcome to the forum.
                            MOD EDIT. Non crafts related. Please read rules.

Comment

Hey Tephy,

To be honest I would never have thought to attempt to use a soldering iron to 'test' out pyrography (could have saved myself some money there. Oopse. Even though it didn't work out.. I'm glad it enabled you to see if it's something you'd like... I would love to be able to do glass fusing. But unfortunately space and money comes into account. I've had to move back home so my 3 bedroom house is now a 1 room, hallway and storage. - Not good. Having a pokey lil desk instead of a decent lil craft room I've never done glass engraving but I do own a dremol which has glass engraving attachments.

I looked everywhere for the single pen and couldn't find them in the UK!! I'm excited for you And 2 hour drive for testing, that's a level of commitment I can't even... wow..!!

The wood slices are dry. I actually bought them about 6 months or so ago for a project that I decided against in the end (or well I moved and don't have space for atm) so they're dry. And yes I have a fan in my room, one of them standing fans and it works ok if you have it facing away from you and on. Then the window open a bit. But I'm kinda addicted to the smell. I know I know I'm bad. I also have a face mask (I use to work with a resin that had a really bad chemical smell) but found it somewhat irritating.

I've seen people dry leaves and flowers in a microwave.. BUT... I was specifically told not to do it with drift wood (I might start doing pyrography on drift wood - cos well it's free... and beautiful.. but not that common where I live... Which is kinda odd. In all my time going to that beach (too much) I think I've found maybe 4 or 5 small-ish pieces of driftwood. I turned one into a incense stick holder.. I digress. Putting driftwood in a microwave or on a radiator can cause it to split. I imagine other wet woods (such as green woods) might do the same? I don't know.. I've found leaving pieces near a radiator for a week or two is fine. But make sure you get rid of the bugs an such..

I drew my design onto normal printer paper, covered the back in graphite then pressed over my design not hard enough to indent the wood but to transfer the graphite off the back onto the wood. That's how I did the skull and then free handed the rest.

I like the orginality of your name. Unfortunately Imogen was given to me at birth by my parents who clearly didn't care that I'd be bullied quite badly through out my school life.

Sounds quite creatively busy. I feel so lazy in comparison. does sticking washi tape to wooden pegs with my 11 year old sister count?? I'm guessing no..

I use to have a Northern Inuit, she was mostly white with black and huge. Her name was Kya. She was a rescue dog, her and that awful mix breen Neesha. Unfotunatly we lived up on the Isle of Lewis, Stornoway. And Kya got out and she bit a sheep. We were told we had to have her put down or give her way. So my parents gave her and Neesha away. - Gutted. But they're beautiful creatures. Tbh I couldn't imagine them being happy cramped here in Blackpool.

A clip to hold your pen, now it's becoming more intriguing. Perhaps after enough practice you could do some YouTube demo's :P

Anyways hun, take care
                              Imogen x
                              - Imogen xoxo

Comment

Working...
                              X