X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jewellery making

Hi

I am new to this forum.

I have been making jewellery for a short while, I've made some wire necklaces, I have used callotes to fasten the clasps on and found that they are not holding, I made my sister-in-law a necklace for her to wear as a trial for me and she only had the necklace on for a few hours and the clasps broke, could anyone help me on how to make stronger fasteners, I have tried different qualities of callotes but have had no joy, please help.

Mel

Hi,

How are you attaching the calottes, with a knot or crimp bead?

I use crimp beads on the end, with calottes over them.
    Mine are side opening ones from beads unlimited, I find them easier to use than the others.
    Although I don't make too many necklaces using this style, it does seem to work, if the crimp is attached very tightly and the calottes pressed closed, I almost squash them sometimes to make sure.

Hope that helps.
    Sarah x

Muddle Website
    Muddle's Facebook Page

Comment

Personally, I don't like callottes and never use them.

I'm sure I've answered this ages ago on another thread ... I shall have a look....
      Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Tada!

http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthr...ght=personally
        Blog Website Flickr

Comment

Callotes

Hi Sarah

Thank you for your reply, I use knots at the end, but I will try the crimps instead, what is the alternative if I want to make a necklace with sead beads?

Thanks again.

Mel

Comment

Hi there,

Many people use callottes and love them, but their weakness is at the hinge where is can possibly snap, or your 'end' can work it's way out of the hole. Good quality callotes don't snap, and to prevent your end coming though, attach a 1.8-2mm crimp on the end.

You could change to using 'Wire Guardians' and 'crimps' using a fine Beadalon wire, say 19 strand or 49 strand which has good drape. The choice will depend on what you're making

Debbie
            www.beadservice.net
            On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Callotes

Hi Debbie

Yes it is the hinges that are very weak. I will try the wire guardians, they do look alot better and stronger thank you for your advice, I will get there.

Mel

ps do you sell them on your website?

Comment

Hi Mel

Yes, I sell Wire Guardians on the site, in Silver Plated, Gold Plated, Sterling Silver and Gold Fill, and once you've found them on the site, click into 'more info' to see a picture of how to use them

Debbie
                www.beadservice.net
                On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Working...
                X