Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from a newbie

Hi everyone,
    I am just going to introduce myself. I am Debbie, 25 and from Hull in the UK. I am currently living with my parents until i pay all my university debt off. I am interested in cardmaking, jewellery making and beadweaving and i also read alot of romantic fiction.
    I am currently working for a double glazing company as the personal assistant to the managing director even though i have a degree in child and youth studies. As youth work is very limited in Hull and the alternative learning centre that i used to work for shut down i dont drive, i had to lean on my secretarial skills to get a another job
    However i have found that i really enjoy the job i am in now and have worked here for 9 months earning more than i used to with less stress.
    Sorry to rant on and on and i hope to discuss all types of crafting with you in the future.
    Thanks for reading
    Debbie
    Last edited by Debbiesp1982; 20-02-2008, 01:07 PM.

Hi Debbie, and welcome to the forum

You sound a busy person at the moment

Debbie
    www.beadservice.net
    On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Hi Bead service,
      Thanks for the reply. Yes i am busy at the min i have just finished a beadweaved bracelet for my grandmothers birthday and an order for 30 hen party invitations for a friend so i can finally start to relax a bit lol
      Until the next project anyway
      What crafts do you enjoy?
      Debbie

Comment

Hello & !
        I lived in Beverley for a few years and then Barrow on the south bank until 2 years ago so I know Hull. The thing I miss most about living down there is the Ropewalk Gallery in Barton!
        Enjoy the forum.
        Natalie
        website blog

Comment

Hi there and
          x Maria

Website
          Blogging
          Facebook
          Flickr

Comment

Hi and to the forum, I'm sure you'll enjoy talking craft & all sorts of things with the guys here

I used to be a manager for a big corporate bank and the amount of people who came working in our office who had degrees in all sorts of things was unbelievable and a bit sad really. There were never enough opportunities for everyone in the areas they'd studied so hard in so they ended up with me!......but what a laugh we had in our office anyway so they were in a good place!

Shaz x
            Keepsake Kollections
            & Rossendale Ramblings!
            http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

and from me too

Comment

Hello and to the forum from me too! Enjoy your time here.
                Anice xx
                Funkyhand x
                my website
                http://www.funkyhand.com
                my blog (updated 09/06/10)
                http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
                Follow me on Twitter
                http://twitter.com/funkyhand

Comment

and hello from me too!

Comment

hi debbie!

i'm originally from lincoln, but have lived in leicester ever since i came here for uni 7 years ago now i passed my degree in fashion but am now nearly 25 and similar to you. I currently work in a bar as the duty manager, i found it so hard to get a decent job within the fashion industry and wanted a change but never left! I soon made friends with my sewing machine though, and now I design and make handbags and accessories as a sideline (although i would love to do it fulltime.)

Good luck with your career, i hope you get into some crafts though, this site is fab and there are always people to guide you in any interests you may have. Its also a great pick me up when you've had a bad day, the guys on here are brilliant!!!

speak soon

beware though- this site is addictive!!!!!
                    Dee x
                    Visit ZukieStyle for Handmade Fashion & Pet Accessories
                    Follow ZukieStyle for all the latest designs Facebook & Twitter
                    Read ZukieStyle's Blog Or Visit Us On Etsy!

Comment

Hi Debbie, thanks for asking about what crafts I enjoy.

I like leading glassware, both vases and mirrors. I did this as a handcraft business for a while, and although successful with it I felt I was on a prodcution line. So now my glassware is on a hobby level again, and I got into beads due to liking all the Lampwork glass pendants that were coming popular.

I'm lucky in that my OH has a 'Gift & Coffee shop' so I can sell things I make. I'd say we both work pretty much 24/7, but then you need to be diverse if you live in the country as there's little trade in the winter months.

Debbie
                      www.beadservice.net
                      On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

And from me too !!!!

Cheers Janice
                        www.freewebs.com/clipclophorseshoes

Comment

Hi Everyone and thanks for all of the replies. You have all been really welcoming to me and seem like a great bunch of peeps.
                          Speak to you all again soon
                          Debbie

Comment

Croeso ( welsome) from Wales

Hi Debbie!
                            I have had similar circumstances as you but hoped things had altered. I was a student in late 70's when govt decided to cut teaching places just as I qualified! I've done all sorts of jobsfrom crisp merchandising to bar work and partyplan. Trained in youth work too. My work now has changed from doing a lot of creative work in groups in health service to doing more community-sort of work. This has led me to really miss my creative work and so I've been doing lots of different things at home. Also I am trying to set myself up in a studio/craft workshop/small giftshop, as I am worried that my daughter might not get work when she finishes her degree in couple of year's time. What I can say is that all the different jobs have given me more insight and experience and I've met some v interesting people and good friends. Keep positive and as saying goes" Don't hide your light under a bushel!"

Comment

Working...
                            X