Hello! I'm new

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello! I'm new

Hi I'm new to the forum so thought I would just drop in and say hello.

I make my own jewellery and have been making stuff for family and friends for quite a while now but am finding it very scary to turn this from my hobby to making money from it.

Does anyone else find it daunting to get out there and sell to the public or is it just getting the confidence to bite the bullet and do it!
    www.sparklehandmadejewellery.co.uk

Hi Karen and welcome!

It is a bit nerve racking, but once you've done a few fairs or sold a few things you'll get the bug and want more....
    I think talking to other crafters helps, either on the forum or at fairs - your not alone.

Have a few parties for friends and family first. This might help to carm the nerves!

Good luck for the future.
    x Maria

Website
    Blogging
    Facebook
    Flickr

Comment

i was exactly the same...just do it - its the best thing i ever did!
      its quite difficult getting your website noticed and takes time but well worth it! i have had 4 orders in the last 4 days!!! woo hoo...
      its so good when things start to happen although they might be slow...

welome, there are lots of very kind and helpful people on here!!!

rach xxx
      Funky jewellery & Luxury handmade greetings cards www.sunbatheintheshade.com

Comment

to the forum!!
        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Hello and to the forum. It is really scary when you move from friends and family out to the real world selling to people you don't know. But it's a fantastic feeling when you do! I've been at this now for about 18 months and though it's hard work I haven't looked back!!
          Good luck!
          Anice xx
          Funkyhand x
          my website
          http://www.funkyhand.com
          my blog (updated 09/06/10)
          http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
          Follow me on Twitter
          http://twitter.com/funkyhand

Comment

to the forum and all you've just heard is so true - I'm just at the changeover stage from selling the odd bits to people I know to doing my first craft fairs but its so rewarding when strangers like your work, even more so than family & friends, and you do get the bug - BIG TIME!

Lots to be learned here, you're in the right place to help you every step of the way

Best of luck
            Shaz x
            Keepsake Kollections
            & Rossendale Ramblings!
            http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

Originally posted by sunbatheintheshade View Post
              i was exactly the same...just do it - its the best thing i ever did!
              its quite difficult getting your website noticed and takes time but well worth it! i have had 4 orders in the last 4 days!!! woo hoo...
              its so good when things start to happen although they might be slow...

rach xxx
              PS - congratulations Rach - I hope to MAJORLY pick your brains if we get to meet at your Didsbury April event! - Shaz x
              Keepsake Kollections
              & Rossendale Ramblings!
              http://focusonlife-shaz.blogspot.com

Where else can you get Mental and Retail Therapy?!

Comment

Hello and from me too !!!

Your in the right place for lots of friendly advice when you do take the plunge.

Cheers Janice
                www.freewebs.com/clipclophorseshoes

Comment

to the forum. This forum is a good place to start!
                  www.truebloom.blogspot.com
                  www.truebloom.co.uk
                  My Etsy Shop

Comment

Shabby Neesey

Comment

Hi karen and welcome. I am pretty new to this too. I started maing jewlerylast year and got selling to friends first and then Christmas fairs. I had a great - and successful - time, but I now I'm feeling really fustrated that I haven't got anything else lined up.
                      www.littlebead.blogspot.com
                      www.twitter.com/littlebead

Comment

from me too
                        Mel

Comment

and from me as well

Comment

welcome WELCOME welcome.......
                            Unique Handmade Gifts

Comment

Hi Karen, and welcome

There comes a scary point when you start selling to the public at fairs.
                              My advice is to just do it, because the experience of selling to strangers helps you 'get it right'. I mean, the pricing, the style, the display, and getting to know and understand the audience you're selling to.

Don't be afraid to make mistakes, because that's how you learn. My best suggestion if doing a craft fair, is to make items in a range of prices to suite a lot of pockets, and think about how it's going to be displayed. After all, you have to make be stop and look your stand. It can be worth while making something biggish as a centre piece to make people look. And spot lights are a must in my opinion.

Other than that, if you feel nervous, a smile goes a long way

Debbie
                              Last edited by 0103media; 08-02-2008, 04:10 PM. Reason: removed fake sig
                              www.beadservice.net
                              On-line bead supplier and bead lover

Comment

Working...
                              X