X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone!

Hi all!

What a great site!

I'm new here so I thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Claire and I've got fairly severe ME/CFS. I'm largely housebound but I try not to let my illness stop me from doing the things I want to do. Well.... relatively speaking anyway!

I've recently decided to sell my own handmade cards online. Up until now, I was fine because I just needed to buy small quantities, but now I'm thinking of expanding and opening up a craft supplies shop. And this is where I've got stuck

I've tried looking online for wholesalers who sell card blanks, and all the stuff you'd sell in a crafts shop, but the best I can get is online craft stores who sell to handmade card makers. Cheaper than the stores that sell to hobbyist end users, but not cheap enough to open a craft store

So I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction? Are there any wholesalers you know about that sell card stock and all the stuff that goes with it? I understand if you don't want to disclose the names of your supplier (looks like it's hard work finding them!) but I'd be grateful even for any general tips. Should I look at American wholesalers for example?

Fantastic forum by the way - congratulations to the Moderators and Forum Manager. I'm not sure if I've posted in the right area? Sorry if I haven't. Eeep!

All the best everyone - looking forward to meeting you all!

Claire (aka sunbeam!)

Thanks alot... ..

And a big welcome...

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
    (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Hi sunbeam,

Welcome afraid I cant help with card suppliers, had a really hard time finding a candle making supplies but keep trying I got there in the end. Have yuo thought about attending some of the trade shows I would imagine suppliers would visit there. There is also a site called the wholesaler you may find some on there cant remember exact address but you should be able to find it on an isp search.

Good luck

Deb
      Deb
      Karisma Kandles
      www.karismakandles.co.uk

Comment

Hi Deb

I'm afraid I'm housebound (I've got ME/CFS) so I can't go to trade shows, but it certainly gives me food for thought. I could maybe perhaps look at card making magazines maybe?

Candle making sounds interesting - have you been making them for long?

Hi media! Thanks for the welcome!

All the best everyone!

Claire

Comment

Welcome to the forum!!

Maybe if you have time to do extended research on google.co.uk, you'll find something. Try paper mill type of places too and also yellow pages, too often forgotten! Wholesalers are likely to ask for a minimum spend like £100 to £500 so be prepared.

Given the weight of paper, I am not sure buying from abroad would be cheaper - just a thought!

Hope this helps
          Bea
          Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Oooh thanks Bea!

Forgive me for being a bit dense here (newbie alert) but do you mean actual paper mills? Or is there a brand called the paper mill?

Possibly brain fog taking over ops: - I'd better hit the sack!

Hugs all round!

Comment

There is a chain of shops called the Paper Mill indeed - not sure if you can buy other than retail with them, but worth checking. But yes, I mean paper mills in the ''factory'' sense of the word.
              Bead Shop, 91 Liverpool Road, Penwortham, Preston, PR1 0QB, Lancashire. Mon-Fri 10am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm, Sunday 11am-3pm.

Comment

Thanks Bea! That's a great idea. It seems there is much sleuthing to do!

Comment

To deal with wholesale suppliers you often need to have a 'bricks & mortar' shop as most won't deal with just internet based stores. There is usually a minimun order of around £250 - £500 as well. Some are not as rigid as this but when I started out it took me ages to get the main wholesalers under my belt. It is a lot of hard work and searching.

Good luck anyway in your venture. :lol:
                  If you are not near enough to visit then check out my online store!!

www.scrapbookingcastle.co.uk

Happy crafting

Comment

Hi Claire

Sorry about dense message didint read your original post properly, The paper mill is a really good play for paper but I dont think you can buy on line. Another good suppliers is a place called craftsonline.co.uk they are actually baseed in the same town as me and have a huge range of cardmaking supplies. If I come across any god suppliers when visiting trade shows I will let you know, also have a few friends who make cards, will try to pick there brains for you.
                    Deb
                    Karisma Kandles
                    www.karismakandles.co.uk

Comment

Oh wow thanks Deb!

All the best

Sunbeam

Comment

Hi and welcome aboard

Steve
                        CraftBoard

Comment

Hello Claire, welcome, welcome. Come on in and have a cup of tea!

Comment

Hi Steve! Hi Kate!

Ooooh thanks for the tea - shall I bring the cookies? I promise to make sure they're not covered in glitter!

Sunbeam

Comment

That'd have to be a first for crafters :lol: :lol:

Steve
                              CraftBoard

Comment

Working...
                              X