Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello :) looking for advise and networking opportunites

Hi all!
    My name's Emma. I'm a steampunk artist and a Local crafts stall owner in S. Lanarkshire. I'm really looking for a place to network with other crafters and a place to let other crafters know about the opportunities that arise for crafters through my business. Can anyone suggest where to post any opportunities for crafters?
    I look forward to getting to know you all and joining in some of these threads!
    Emma x

Didn't know what Steampunk was until late last year when I got caught up in a convention and asked where the fancy dress party was! Oops
    Pat Murphy

http://www.gladturnings.co.uk
    https://www.facebook.com/GladTurnings.Woodturning

Comment

hahaha

Originally posted by woodturningpat View Post
      Didn't know what Steampunk was until late last year when I got caught up in a convention and asked where the fancy dress party was! Oops
      Its a common issue lol. I have to admit i prefer to have one or two steampunk pieces on not the full kit. It spares trying to explain that you are NOT an actor in public places!! And victorian skirts in elevators.... Well I know a few horror stories!
      x

Comment

Hello, welcome to the forum...I don't know what a steampunk artist is? Although I gather from what you're saying its something to do with clothing??
        "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

Thank you! (and an explanation of steampunk!!)

"Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction that typically features steam-powered machinery,[1] especially in a setting inspired by industrialized Western civilization during the 19th century. Therefore, steampunk works are often set in an alternative history of the 19th century's British Victorian era or American "Wild West", in a post-apocalyptic future during which steam power has regained mainstream use, or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power. Steampunk perhaps most recognizably features anachronistic technologies or retro-futuristic inventions as people in the 19th century might have envisioned them, and is likewise rooted in the era's perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, and art. Such technology may include fictional machines like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or the modern authors Philip Pullman, Scott Westerfeld, and China Mieville. Other examples of steampunk contain alternate history-style presentations of such technology as lighter-than-air airships, analog computers, or such digital mechanical computers as Charles Babbage and Ada Lovelace's Analytical Engine.
          Steampunk may also, though not necessarily, incorporate additional elements from the genres of fantasy, horror, historical fiction, alternate history, or other branches of speculative fiction, making it often a hybrid genre. The term steampunk's first known appearance was in 1987, though it now retroactively refers to many works of fiction created even as far back as the 1950's or 1960's.
          Steampunk also refers to any of the artistic styles, clothing fashions, or subcultures, that have developed from the aesthetics of steampunk fiction, Victorian-era fiction, and films from the mid-20th century.[ Various modern utilitarian objects have been modded by individual artisans into a pseudo-Victorian mechanical "steampunk" style, and a number of visual and musical artists have been described as steampunk."

Don't you just love Wikipedia?!
          My art is usually based round accessories, particularly Jewellery, though many people make things as diverse as corsets and mechanical elephants (Artists Franأ§ois Delaroziأ¨re and Pierre Orefice).

The paralympics 2012 closing ceremony is an example of a relevant interpretation of steampunk style, sort of a mechanical, victorian, si-fi paganistic fusion.
          x

Comment

Welcome to the forum, I love steampunk. There are some steampunkers on here so stay with us.

Comment

Thank you! That's great! I love blending steampunk into other sub-genres like Mexican folk art
              I've been having a snoop and Its good to know theres people i cn learn a lot from on here X

Comment

Working...
              X