Newbie needing help for my uni project! HELPPP! =(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie needing help for my uni project! HELPPP! =(

Hi, Im new obviously! still trying to figure things out...like posting a new thread?..I think?

I am a student in my final year of studying furniture and product design.
    For my minor project (25% of overall mark) I designed a toiletry bag for festivals, however I tried making it but my sewing machine was too weak and the university won't let me use sewing machines unless I am on a fashion course and receive 6 weeks of induction (which I don't have time for with other projects).

So my tutor told me to go get it made by someone who knows how to, and I was told to come here as there are many talented sew-ers on here that may be willing to help?...
    I will pay obviously and credit you in my project =)....Let me know if you are interested, I would need the bag by May time...

Hope someone replies to my little post of newbie/help/I want a degreeee! =D

Kat xo

Hi, I'm sure someone will help you out but don't let it end there. Share some pics of you other work on the forum.
    Be careful though because it does become addictive.
    James x
    www.facebook.com/CraftyCath

Comment

Why not recruit someone who is on the fashion course who can sew and make this more of a useful collaboration?

Comment

OK so what are you making your toilet bag out of?
        Is the problem that the stuff is too thick to go through your sewing machine or that it's slipping?

Don't forget that before we invented sewing makines we had hands. You might want to look into leatherworking techniques if your problem is using plasticated fabric. There are ways of making your sewing look mechanical.

For slipping - the other craftforumites have answers. I just say naughty words, handsew and keep my sanity .

Comment

Hi Kat,
          I studied Product design at uni too! Seems such a long time ago now...
          I know your final year can be very manic, but try not to stress yourself out too much if that's possible.

So, what do you need help on because I might can help. Of course I will need more info from you, but if you let me know what you're after we can take it from there.

Good luck with your degreeee, I'm sure you'll do just fine!

Originally posted by Starryz View Post
          Hi, Im new obviously! still trying to figure things out...like posting a new thread?..I think?

I am a student in my final year of studying furniture and product design.
          For my minor project (25% of overall mark) I designed a toiletry bag for festivals, however I tried making it but my sewing machine was too weak and the university won't let me use sewing machines unless I am on a fashion course and receive 6 weeks of induction (which I don't have time for with other projects).

So my tutor told me to go get it made by someone who knows how to, and I was told to come here as there are many talented sew-ers on here that may be willing to help?...
          I will pay obviously and credit you in my project =)....Let me know if you are interested, I would need the bag by May time...

Hope someone replies to my little post of newbie/help/I want a degreeee! =D

Kat xo
          Come and join our wonderful world of hand-crafted happiness!
          http://www.MunkiMake.com

Find us on Facebook too!
          https://www.facebook.com/MunkiMake

Comment

Where in the world are you, and what sort of fabric will it be made of? Will it need overlocking, coverstitching ... ? What sort of machine do you have that has failed to sew it?

I may be able to help, or know someone who might help. PM me if you like.

Or you could perfectly well do it by hand. Might be faster, anyway, than finding people, coming to an agreement, posting things off etc etc etc.

Comment

Thanks! just seen all these replies =D

So it's a toiletry bag, I'm using PVC and the fabric was too thick I think, the thread kept bunching up and not going through properly....

I would hand stitich but I really really don't have the time, I'm very busy with other projects, I think hand sew will be a last resort really.

I'm at university in Nottingham- UK and I live in Wrexham North Wales, so those are my two main locations,

I am considering asking someone on the fashion courses etc. but I wanted to know if there would be anyone interested on here too =)

I have some CAD visuals and technical drawings, but I'm very flexible as this is meant to be a prototype, not the final product so it doesn't have to be exact =)

Not too sure how to link an image or anything but if there is anyone interested in helping me out, earning a little money? then I could e-mail an image to get the ball rolling...or work out how to do it on here =)

Thanks again everyone! xo

Comment

Here are two renders, really bad quality but all I can get at this point sorry

Basically, the bag folds up kind of like a briefcase and opens up, in the centre there is a clear small zippy bag, attatched by magnetic buttons so the user can take this away from the tent and use it to hold wipes, toilet roll, hand sanitiser, sun cream.

Then one side has 3 pockets for 50 ml bottles (shampoo conditioner body wash) and another clear zip pocket, sewn in holding pound coin size wipes that expand with water.

The other side will hold various sized pockets for extras like condoms, make up, glowstick, and will have elastric straps to hold teeth cleaning items, and a mirror embedded within the bag.

Let me know if you think this is do-able or you think you would be interested in makihng this, I am willing to pay =D

Thanks
                Attached Files

Comment

Sketch and bluefoam models

A couple of sketches and basic bluefoam models to help get the idea across

Comment

Don't know if they would help but http://www.sunflowerdesign.co.uk/ are in Nottingham (not far from the train station).
                    Pat Murphy

http://www.gladturnings.co.uk
                    https://www.facebook.com/GladTurnings.Woodturning

Comment

Thanks! Really helpful..just e-mailed them =)

Comment

Working...
                      X