Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Afternoon!

Hi there,

Just popping over to say hi - I'm part of a mother/daughter pairing, thinking of getting into handmade soy candles and fragrance diffusers as a pocket money making hobby and in the long term making it into a small local business.

I'm having trouble with packaging solutions (as I believe a lot of people are!) so will be posting a few questions up in due course

Hope everyone is enjoying their Sunday!
    Laura xx

Hello Laura, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will receive lots of help with candle making here!
    "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

Welcome to the forum
      View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Welcome to the forum!! Just a heads up tho, in the eyes of HMRC there is no such thing as hobby selling. If you're selling, you need to be registered with the taxman and do a yearly tax return I'm afraid. I am told that it's painless and pretty easy. Also I would highly advise public and product liability insurance too, especially if you're going to be selling at fairs.
        There's loads of really good advice here on the forum, just do a search.
        Good luck!! xx
        Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

Thanks for that, I'm already self employed so everything will go through my accountant - thankfully it means there's little extra to do apart from keep those receipts!
          xx

Comment

Originally posted by LauraShayler View Post
            Thanks for that, I'm already self employed so everything will go through my accountant - thankfully it means there's little extra to do apart from keep those receipts!
            xx
            Brilliant!! You'd be surprised at how many people don't inform HMRC then can't understand why they get a fine when they're caught! Hope it goes well for you both!!
            Sarah x

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

Haha I know what you mean! I can understand people dabbling just to see if it's worth their while (HMRC don't even bat an eyelid about that) but once they start making a profit they'll be in trouble lol xx

Comment

It appears that they do 'bat an eyelid' these days! Safer to register and then it not work out than get caught. After all it doesn't cost to register.
                Sarah x

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

Ah that what people that dabble don't realise - you can backdate tax registration

Comment

Working...
                  X