Lenny from Kent says "Hello"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenny from Kent says "Hello"

Hello, I'm Lenny from Kent (or SE London, depending on where you stand).

I'm just dipping my toes into the world of paper crafting, although I've been a crafter for years (without knowing it). As a toddler, I was taught the basics of knitting, and I can make very simple things likes hats and scarves. My father in law, despite laughing at it, always wears a woolly hat I made many years ago.

As a child I was taught to sew, so I'm the one who does any needlework in the house.

For years I have been a lover of bookbinding. From an early age I was making my own books. I had never read and instructions on how to bind books, but a few year ago I met a professional binder who informed me that I was doing everything correctly.

Now, after a period of ill health, I have decided to take my interest further and try to make some pocket money from my interest in book making. Previously, I used to stitch pages, cut the cover to size, then bind. However, this was extremely time consuming, so I've had to abandon the 'old way'. Instead, I have bought some 2nd hand binding tools, found a couple of wholesalers (paper and binding materials), and a Craft Robo plotter/cutter and I'm ready to roll.

I have a background in IT and teaching, and I'm interested in film making and photography, so hopefully I'll be able to help anyone with problems in these area. Recently, I've been in conversation with a professional photographer about taking product photos, so I'll be passing any tips on.

Well, I'm looking forward to a fruitful time with you.

Regards,

Lenny
    ~~The old ways are the future~~

Hello Lenny, welcome to the forum. Good luck with the bookbinding, what an interesting and beautiful thing to do.

Fiona
    "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing photos of your work.
      http://debbieclairegems.webplus.net
      http://www.facebook.com/DebbieClaireGems

Comment

Hello Lenny and welcome. Do you take on commissions to re bind old books? That must be sooo rewarding. Nothing nicer than handling a beautifully bound book. My OH was a printer and one of the things we used to do was stamp the gold leaf wording on the covers. We had a small manual machine in the shed but it was such precise work as one could not make a mistake which resulted in the lovely binding being damaged.
        Carol
        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
          Do you take on commissions to re bind old books?
          I've never considered that before. I'd have to examine any book carefully before accepting a commission.

My OH was a printer...
          A dying craft, much like typesetting. Computers may do it quicker but they just don't do it as well. Sometimes, there's nothing like the human eye.

I forgot to mention that I will be making my own paper for the books I make, too. I've been experimenting over the last few days to find a process that works for me. So far I've made my own deckle and mould, and I'm currently experimenting with different types of mesh to see which produces the most pleasing pattern on the finished paper. Also, looking at different types of dye, petals/foliage, etc. It's all very relaxing, but great fun trying to come up with the best mix.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Lenny

Comment

Hi Lenny, to the forum.

Jo xx
            Things to make and do
            Things to make and do's Facebook page
            Michael Lovejoy's Art

Comment

Good morning, and welcome! I'll be very interested in all your posts!!

Comment

Originally posted by cosmic grammie View Post
                I'll be very interested in all your posts!!
                Yikes! In a good way, I hope .

If there is anything computer-related you'd like to know, just ask. I used to teach (and hope to return to teaching) adults in all manner of IT topics... video editing, photo editing, word processing, spreadsheets, touch typing. And I ran my own IT support business for several years before selling it.

I'd be happy to assist, if I can.

Lenny

Comment

Hi Lenny, Oh! how busy you must be and so many talents.

Good luck with your new project of bookbinding and welcome to the forum.

I have not been here long myself but I have found everyone very friendly and welcoming I am sure you are going to enjoy being a part of the team.

My crafted is making handmade jewellery and I turned that into a small business about 7 years ago and although I will never be a millionaire I love what I am doing

Julie
                  Uk made handcrafted jewellery seen here
                  jewellery made by hand found here
                  Unique and unusual necklaces at this site
                  "Fashion comes and goes but style is eternal" Yves St Lauren

Comment

I've never so happy as I was when I was earning so little! I know making books will not make me rich, but it will give me a lot of satisfaction.

Handmade jewellery... I've never tried it; I'd probably not be very good as I don't really have an eye for beauty. I like lines and angularity - good for making books! Lousy for artistry.

In my spare time I would LOVE to learn to crochet. Reading books hasn't helped - I need someone to teach me. Time to look on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Lenny View Post
                      I like lines and angularity - good for making books! Lousy for artistry.

Wait a minute....making books IS artistic!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X