Introducing ourselves to the forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Introducing ourselves to the forum

My wife and I are pleased to the have joined this forum today.
    We're passionate about CNC crafts and there's always something going on in our workshop. Interested in hearing from other members with similar interests and maybe those thinking of getting into cnc, maybe with a chinese router/laser. i'm (James) a 2D/3D Mach3 toolpath designer and always willing to help if/where possible.
    Merry Christmas to All
    James & Cath
    Last edited by Crafty Cath; 18-12-2012, 07:30 PM.
    www.facebook.com/CraftyCath

Warm welcome to the forums, James and Cath!

Comment

welcome to the forum.
      http://debbieclairegems.webplus.net
      http://www.facebook.com/DebbieClaireGems

Comment

Hi James and Cath, to the forum.

Jo xx
        Things to make and do
        Things to make and do's Facebook page
        Michael Lovejoy's Art

Comment

Hi James and Cath,

welcome to the forum. I am still new here but I have found everyone very friendly. My main craft is jewellery making but hoping that the New Year brings spare time to try some more.

Julie
          Uk made handcrafted jewellery seen here
          jewellery made by hand found here
          Unique and unusual necklaces at this site
          "Fashion comes and goes but style is eternal" Yves St Lauren

Comment

Hi James and Cath, welcome to the forum. I have to admit I don't know what CNC crafts are! Id love to hear more about them please.

Fiona
            "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

hello to both of you and welcome x

Comment

In responce, CNC Crafts involves cad drawing and producing flat cut shapes like animals, letters, geometric shapes etc. in MDF so that others may finish them by painting, glittering etc. Very popular with children. An extension to this is 3 dimensional relief carvings to embellish coat & key racks or as a component in dimensional signage. These items are produced on our homemade compiterised router table or Laser Engraver/Cutter. When we work in wood (Pine & Oak) we have the pleasure of applying a finish. Bespoke work adds the icing on the cake.
                Thanks

Comment

welcome, would love to see pictures of your set up James given the chance, i sometimes feel like its something i fancy doing but i am worried about the programming side of it, so any help really would be appreciated..

steve

Comment

Thank you, your work sounds great, I'd also love to see pictures. I work with wood too but on a lathe I'm making pens at the moment.

Fiona
                    "If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely." Roald Dahl

Comment

Wow, Steve, it's such a big subject and just gathering my thoughts to respond to you has overwhelmed me a little. Do you start with a machine or the software? I started with the design ideas and the desire to cut my own shapes. Router or Laser, another question to wrestle with. I suppose some people start by buying a machine and taking it from there. I'd call that the hard way. James

Comment

what size machine is it, does it take full sheets or part sheets, how do you go about applying a pattern to be cut ect ect, this is just the start, i hope you realise that...

you could always use the pm if you would rather..

Comment

I built this machine to fit a table top in my garage and it worked out to be 550x850mm working area. So it takes 1/8 sheets max width. I bought a few hundred sheets of mdf at one time and just about got through them now. As for the the method, toolpaths are designed in a cad program and them interpreted by MACH3 and used to control the machine.
                          Hope this helps.
                          James

Comment

Hi, fascinated whenever I see skilled people working in wood. it's good to know we can still challenge industrial robotic machines with our flair, imagination and determination.
                            James x

Comment

Working...
                            X